Why become a member? ×

Setting up?

teen t-shirt

I had a problem with my new Squier with buzzing, so fiddled about with the truss rod and it's now sorted. More by luck than judgement I think, but if I can do it anyone can. Have a look at this link that I found, it gives you an idea on how to do it.

[url="http://www.answerbag.com/articles/video/How-to-Adjust-the-Truss-Rod-on-a-Bass-Guitar/fda13c4b-d528-9245-eaf8-a2e17c094cfb"]http://www.answerbag.com/articles/video/Ho...f8-a2e17c094cfb[/url]

[quote name='teen t-shirt' post='269755' date='Aug 25 2008, 08:51 PM']i live in RAF Digby...

and travelling is a bit difficult as i have no mode of transport except for my parents atm and not the most reliable things eh?
how ever thanks for the concern i think i have it all sorted the neck sounds better than ever and theres no buzz...

tarr very much though...[/quote]

You live about 6 miles away from me..... Get stuck again and give us a shout I'll pop over.....

[quote name='dlloyd' post='270028' date='Aug 26 2008, 09:44 AM']With a lot of relief you get buzz when you play on the higher frets. It's because setting up is a balancing act between neck relief and bridge height. Essentially a lot of relief forces you to drop the action at the bridge to make the bass playable at the lower frets, which in turn makes the action too low for the high frets.[/quote]
Gotcha. Now I've thought about it I have had that problem in the past and it's left me scratching my head. Cheers!

[quote name='dlloyd' post='270028' date='Aug 26 2008, 09:44 AM']If I'm adjusting my basses (unless it's a new one that's completely out of whack), I'll adjust it in this order...

Tune
Relief
Tune
Action
Tune
Intonation
Tune

Repeat until happy[/quote]

+1 on some great advice.

i rely wanna set mine up meself but tryed in the past and made it a hell of alot worse. i bought my warwick with a sh*t set up and i wanna get it as low as possible without any rattle. i use quite a heavy pick and pick really hard (self taught) is it true i wouldnt be able to have a low set up because of this? ? ?

[quote name='odub' post='274733' date='Sep 1 2008, 04:54 PM']Funny how everyone wants low action I'm not 100% sure why...

IMO if you hit heavy and with a pick, don't worry about getting the strings as low as possible.[/quote]

yeah but i want low action from tapin purposes plus iv played with high action and picked for ages gunna uses me fingers and tap more! ! ! ! !