Why become a member? ×

Ibanez AFRs

BetaFunk

Since seeing Percy Jones with a ATR 5-String Fretless (A105F?) in the mid 1990s i've always fancied a 4-String Fretless version. There doesn't seem to be many of them for sale on the 'net so has anyone got one, played one or knows how much they go for nowadays?

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='268584' date='Aug 23 2008, 07:38 PM']I've always had a hankering to try one of these (that is the one with the very elongated horns and tiny headstock...)[/quote]

That's the one. Designed by Rolf Spuler i think they were also known as the Ibanez Affirma and were available in Fretted and Fretless 4 and 5 String versions.
They're lovely and i want one! (or maybe two) :)

I've seen two of them go through Ebay in the last four or five years - and I was absolutely gutted when I missed the finish of one auction - and the bloody thing sold for just over £100! :huh: :) Unbelievable.

Ibanez re-used the design for their peculiar plastic Ergodyne EDA900:

Also features the Piezo bridge from the AFR but ultimately looks more like a [i]Star Trek[/i] prop than a bass.

Didn't stop me buying a bright orange one, though...

Jon.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='268726' date='Aug 24 2008, 08:05 AM'][size=7]£100[/size] That is obscene!

I've never liked the look of the re-issue ones but I must confess an 'orange' one if cheap enough might have tempted me :)[/quote]

Even more obscene when you've been watching it like a GAS-raddled hawk for a week - and are prepared to bid a few multiples of what it ended up selling for. And you miss it.

I can only guess it went so cheap because it's so obscure. Seller must've been gutted.

If I ever decide to move my orange plastic horror on, I'll let you know!

J.

• 2 weeks later...

I've owned a 5 strings example of the real thing... very nice design. 1 piece Saman body (a sort of Mahogany), 1 piece Maple neck with graphite reinforcements, Ebony fingerboard, 1 side-by-side Ibanez magnetic pickup and piezo bridge (single saddles). The bass had a nice set-in construction (pretty close to what I use on my instruments) and had a good unplugged sound. Unfortunately, the piezo wasn't very useful (very harsh and brittle) and the magnetic pickup was pretty cheesy. With a set of Barts it could really be a nice instrument. Had a form-fitted hardcase with green interior. Its price was very high but a used one can be found for €750 or more, depending from conditions and configuration. Not all the basses had the Saman body, I've seen some with figured Maple. I ended up trading mine with a Tobias Growler... maaaaaany years ago. :)
BetaFunk: I know where I could find a fretted 4, if this helps.

Edited by Matte_black

[quote name='Matte_black' post='278575' date='Sep 6 2008, 01:41 PM']I've owned a 5 strings example of the real thing... very nice design. 1 piece Saman body (a sort of Mahogany), 1 piece Maple neck with graphite reinforcements, Ebony fingerboard, 1 side-by-side Ibanez magnetic pickup and piezo bridge (single saddles). The bass had a nice set-in construction (pretty close to what I use on my instruments) and had a good unplugged sound. Unfortunately, the piezo wasn't very useful (very harsh and brittle) and the magnetic pickup was pretty cheesy. With a set of Barts it could really be a nice instrument. Had a form-fitted hardcase with green interior. Its price was very high but a used one can be found for €750 or more, depending from conditions and configuration. Not all the basses had the Saman body, I've seen some with figured Maple. I ended up trading mine with a Tobias Growler... maaaaaany years ago. :)
BetaFunk: I know where I could find a fretted 4, if this helps.[/quote]

If BetaFunk isn't interested I may well be!