Why become a member? ×

I'm looking for a short 5mm allen key - anyone know where to get one?

JimBobTTD

The title pretty much sums it all up.

I'm returning an old Burny to the ranks of the playable and I need to give the neck some relief. I have a 5mm allen key (among others) which looks like it will fit, but the channel in the headstock is laughingly small - 2cm from truss rod nut to solid wood. Hence, my allen keys will simply not fit in the hole, so I can't adjust the rod.

So...I've trawled eBay and I can't see any which look like they fit the bill. I don't have any shops locally I can use. Do any of you know where I can get an allen key with a short "L" bit? I really don't want to hack out any wood from the headstock, even if it could prove practical further down the line.

Thanks in advance for any help! If any of you happen to have anything (4-5mm) which would work hanging around, I'll gladly take them off your hands!

Any other ideas how I can get at this rod?

[quote name='bassmanady' post='268569' date='Aug 23 2008, 08:15 PM']I had the same problem,and usually allen keys are hardened,and a hack saw wont cut it very easily..i have a bench grinder and used that to grind it to the perfect length...[/quote]

Oh dear...that's the kind of thing I really want to know, but really do not want to hear!

I had a hunch, though. They are pretty hardy things, but unfortunately I do not have a grinder. Any suggestions on how else to shorten the key? I'm starting to think that this is the only logical way forward.

You could try getting a ball end hex key. They allow the bolt head and the driver tip to be up to about 20-30 degrees out of alignment. Oh, and if they're available, pay the extra and get Bondhus - they're by far the best you can buy.

Andy