Why become a member? ×

Cab help tech question series/ parallel.

KingPrawn

Hello all

This issue really confuses me.

I have acquired a 500w head at 4 ohms as a back up. It has one speakon connector at the back. I want to know how I link it to my two 2x10 8 ohm bergs. It is from the head into one cab then link 1st to the 2nd? Or do I have to use just one cab?

My main head is easy it has 2 speakons. I can just about manage that 😀

In advance thank you

Edited by KingPrawn

[quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1431123050' post='2768121']
Is there any advantage to go series rather than parallel or vice versa?
[/quote]

Given the option (so you need two sockets on the amp), it's theoretically better to connect one cab to one socket and the other to the other rather than daisy-chaining (it's not series, it's still parallel). The current getting to the second cab only has to get through one set of connectors for each cab, and there's no additional voltage drop for the second cab from having twice the current going through one cable as the other. Also, if something dreadful happens to one cab so the sockets become disconnected one to the other (not the most likely scenario), you'll just carry on at reduced volume.

All this is theoretical - I'm perfectly happy running an amp with one speakon socket and daisy-chaining the cabs.