Why become a member? ×

help needed on buying a new bass

ashgeezer

Just had a little inheritance come my way so i've decided to treat myself to a new bass in about a months time (cant wait).
I already own a MIM Precision which i love to bits but im undecided whether to get an american precision or a gibson sg reissue ( i only wish i could afford both). any suggestions on other brands of basses would be most welcome, im pretty new to bass playing so a bit of info as well would be great
Money wise i could go to a grand at a push and i know i can get a seriously nice bass for that so keep them suggestions coming.
cheers
mick

I'm afraid that all your gonna get Mick in answer to your question is the standard response ..."go and try as many basses as possible until you find the right one for you". It's not laziness, it's just that there are so many variables, so many basses and nobody apart from you knows what you're after in terms of sound / playability etc.

There aren't many bad basses for a grand in my experience and I've played some belters < £300

Edited by niceguyhomer

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='267980' date='Aug 22 2008, 04:52 PM']I'm afraid that all your gonna get Mick is the standard response ..."go and try as many basses as possible until you find the right one for you".[/quote]
Yeah, sorry!

That and/or everyone recommending what they own. I, for instance, would heartily recommend a Status :)

Hi,

I am going to have to agree with previous comments. As you have such a good budget you are opening yourself up to a lot of possibilities.

If you want brand new you are slightly more limited but if you are happy with a used bass you have a massive selection. I know for instance that there is are 2 stunning sei basses on here under £1000, but you could go Lakland, Fender, Status, Warwick, MusicMan, Overwater (if you are lucky enough to find a used one) .....the list goes on.

My suggestion would be, use some of it to buy a ticket to London, go to the Bass Gallery and talk to Martin about your budget and try everything until something blows you away, you may be suprised what will catch your eye and feels right, It may even be something a lot cheaper than you expected in which case you are quids in.

Good luck, and just try as much as you can, before deciding.

Nathan

Cheers for the fast replys guys, the trip to london doesnt sound like a bad idea, its certainly worth thinking about, i'm in no rush really as i have about a month to sort it so plenty of time to look around, obviously nearer the time i will have a look in the for sale section on here (keep it in the family so to speak.lol)
I'll keep you all updated.
cheers, much appreciated.
mick