Why become a member? ×

Finding something (maybe religion).

AntLockyer

First things first I am not a regular church goer and wouldn't describe myself as being part of any organised religion. With that said I really enjoy listening to modern gospel music.

I was discussing with my friend yesterday about the talent that some of those guys possess and how you see a lot of Gospel players being really great at their craft. He introduced me to some other devotional music from other places like Pakistan that was equally as skilled and powerful. I came to the conclusion that these people excel because they have a higher purpose than entertainment or just telling a story. They are telling THE story (for their beliefs) and the better a job they do the better they are in the eyes of their deity.

I wondered how that fit it with my life and experiences. When I am in the house band at a jam I'm not giving my all to anything. I'm merely providing a simple canvas to make the other guys sound good. I'm not making it the best it can be, I'm not trying to make people feel amazing or spread the word of anything.

Playing in the band is a bit different. I do give it my all in that setting but my all is only a sum of my practice and attitude at that time. It still is about making the band leader sound good.

I decided I need that devotion in my musical life. Not by joining a religious group but exploring the ideas of a higher place being found through excellence and the spreading of joy. Always doing what I can to be the best I can be at all times.

That started last night. I made a commitment to be 100% present with anyone I played with. To be 100% of the musician I can be at this time given my experience level and knowledge.

It was a resounding success. My contribution to the music was greater. The music was greater. The joy was greater (me, the other musicians, the audience). I heard the music properly for the first time and gave myself to it totally. The next step is to really focus my practice to being better at that. It is no longer about just doing exercises or playing the same songs over and over. I am fully committing to learning the theory and performance principles I need to be as good as I can possibly be and I want to realise my full potential.

I wanted to share this, I've not heard it talked about before and you may get something out if it.

Edited by AntLockyer

Good post.

I agree that a lot of music that has positive spiritual influence or is focused on something other than drugs, women and naval gazing often feels different at many levels when you listen to it compared to ostensibly similar tracks with more mainstream or secular themes.

IMHO that goes for more or less any type of music too - metal, ambient, dance, soul etc...

Edited by Jonnyboy Rotten

Excellent post and I think this is a really important aspect of performance. I think this is similar to public speaking - if you really believe in what you want to talk about then it's so much easier and I'm sure people can tell... it's all about attaching an emotion to what you're doing.

There are many musicians that speak in these terms and who are absolute masters; John Coltrane, John McLaughlin, John Pattitucci, Jon Anderson are a few that come immediately to mind but there are many many more. I personally think that the issue is hugely profound and what drives people to excellence is a very personal thing. Embracing something like 'a higher power' can be a real turn off for some and a real driver for others. I think the journey to nirvana has many routes but the most diffcult thing about finding your own path lies in the realisation that you are already on it.

Totally agree with the OP; it is much easier to devote yourself wholly to the music, the sound and the entire experience when you've got more invested than just playing the right notes at the right time.

Speaking as someone who has played a lot of music in a church context as well as originals bands, covers bands and show bands, the goal of the music may be the same but the motivation for it is different. Whereas in a 'traditional' music environment my aims have been to play well, get people dancing, impress the audience, create an atmosphere, play proficiently etc., in church it is all those things plus expressing something deeply personal and spiritual which lends a different feel to the whole experience, and means you are 'in' the music, as well as sharing a feeling with the audience/congregation, much more often than in other environments (in my experience only of course, and not suggesting it can't happen in other places).