Why become a member? ×

SUMMIT TD 100 Tube DI Box and Instrument Pre amp

Owen

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290261003786"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=290261003786[/url]

As it says in the title. £339 new. £250 from me delivered. It is lush, but I am settling down with my Demeter so this has to go. It is full of really nice input stage creamy valve goodness and the variable impedance really makes things lush, but there are only so many pre amps you can hoard.

The new TD-100 instrument preamp and tube direct box from Summit Audio features a hybrid signal path utilizing both a discrete solid state output device and a 12AX7A/ECC83 vacuum tube to give your musical instruments the clarity of class A sound with the richness and warmth of vacuum tubes all in ½ rack space. Perfect for both live and studio use, the TD-100 offers both XLR microphone level and ¼" TRS line level outputs, plus variable input impedance, polarity switch and ground lift, signal and overdrive LEDs, and even a headphone output for use as a practice device.

[url="http://www.summitaudio.com/td-100-preamp.htm"]http://www.summitaudio.com/td-100-preamp.htm[/url]

Want it you know you do.

Edited by owen

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='270738' date='Aug 27 2008, 07:53 AM']Where are you based Owen I wouldn't mind trying it if possible as I was about to buy a U5 but this might be more my thing.[/quote]

PM

• 2 weeks later...

Dont suppose you'd know how it compares to the a designs reddi or tab v71 by any chance??
Cheers
Pete

[quote name='owen' post='284676' date='Sep 16 2008, 12:06 AM']Sorry, should have said that listings don't go live till 6pm on the 16th (today by now! I should be in bed)[/quote]

[quote name='walplayer' post='285140' date='Sep 16 2008, 03:33 PM']Dont suppose you'd know how it compares to the a designs reddi or tab v71 by any chance??
Cheers
Pete[/quote]

The harsh reality is that I don't know. I realise that I'm not selling it well based on your Q, but there is so much rubbish spoken on the WWW using words like "killer tone" etc that I am trying to avoid getting dragged into the hyperbole. I had a look at both the units you mentioned. The review on the REDDI seemed to point towards a sound character which helps everything sit very well in a mix with no further treatment. This is more about providing a full range sound with a sublte sheen to it. The Tab v71 looks to be modelled on Telefunken kit which is very sought after as well.

The Summit sounds as nice as my Demeter, but the Demeter has a parametric on it which I need for a Double Bass with a boomy Bb. If it was not for needing EQ then I would keep it and not have to lug a 19" rack around. I'm sure there must be forums around which would be able to give you more informed information.

[quote name='walplayer' post='285140' date='Sep 16 2008, 03:33 PM']Dont suppose you'd know how it compares to the a designs reddi or tab v71 by any chance??
Cheers
Pete[/quote]

The harsh reality is that I don't know. I realise that I'm not selling it well based on your Q, but there is so much rubbish spoken on the WWW using words like "killer tone" etc that I am trying to avoid getting dragged into the hyperbole. I had a look at both the units you mentioned. The review on the REDDI seemed to point towards a sound character which helps everything sit very well in a mix with no further treatment. This is more about providing a full range sound with a sublte sheen to it. The Tab v71 looks to be modelled on Telefunken kit which is very sought after as well. I could not find any reviews.

The Summit sounds as nice as my Demeter, but the Demeter has a parametric on it which I need for a Double Bass with a boomy Bb. If it was not for needing EQ then I would keep it and not have to lug a 19" rack around. I'm sure there must be forums around which would be able to give you more informed information.

Ok thanks Owen,know what you mean about the killer tone stuff,i'm leaning towards the the tab v71 but only from what i've read..i suppose it's all trial and error and depending what you stick through them too,thanks though.

[quote name='owen' post='285349' date='Sep 16 2008, 07:58 PM']The harsh reality is that I don't know. I realise that I'm not selling it well based on your Q, but there is so much rubbish spoken on the WWW using words like "killer tone" etc that I am trying to avoid getting dragged into the hyperbole. I had a look at both the units you mentioned. The review on the REDDI seemed to point towards a sound character which helps everything sit very well in a mix with no further treatment. This is more about providing a full range sound with a sublte sheen to it. The Tab v71 looks to be modelled on Telefunken kit which is very sought after as well. I could not find any reviews.

The Summit sounds as nice as my Demeter, but the Demeter has a parametric on it which I need for a Double Bass with a boomy Bb. If it was not for needing EQ then I would keep it and not have to lug a 19" rack around. I'm sure there must be forums around which would be able to give you more informed information.[/quote]