Why become a member? ×

practise routines

karlplaysbass

At home its a combination of many items from jamming with fav song to running over new ones to running scales and trying new techniques to perfection.
At rehearsal its a 5-10 minute run up the neck just loosening my fingers off covering every style i might be doing that day.
Then its run through a song we all thoroughly enjoy.
What we do find is that the last hour of a 3hr rehearsal is when we are all on top form and running at our best and things become easier to play.

Not sure if that's what you are looking for ?
Dave

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1429463493' post='2751605']
Decide what you need to work on, list those things in order of priority and what needs most work.
Work out how much time you have to spare, then proportion an amount if time to each task.

Keep a diary too.
[/quote] i might try the keeping a diary as someone else said to do that cheer :D

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1429466917' post='2751645']
For me, nothing more than one I enjoy doing....if I am not enjoying it I doubt I am gaining anything from it
[/quote]

For me it's the opposite. If I"m enjoying the exercise it means I'm playing things I already know and doubt I'm gaining from it.

If I'm not enjoying it, it means I'm challenged and if I stay with it there's an opportunity for improvement.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1429471245' post='2751717']
For me it's the opposite. If I"m enjoying the exercise it means I'm playing things I already know and doubt I'm gaining from it.

If I'm not enjoying it, it means I'm challenged and if I stay with it there's an opportunity for improvement.

Blue
[/quote] cant agree with you more dude the second something becomes to easy i try to find a way to add more challenge to it or learn more

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1429471245' post='2751717']

Blue
[/quote]

This. I agree with this.

Also, you will know which areas of your playing are better and which areas need catching up. Identifying them is the easy part. Once you have done that, you can find exercise s which will help you bring them up to scratch. I tend to do this via isolated exercises, but then ALWAYS find a way to utilise them in a musical context before I move on. Nailing an exercise is grand, but ultimately useless until you know how to use it in context.

Apologies for being self-serving, but I wrote an article on designing (and maintaining!) practice routines last year:

[url="https://tomkenrick.wordpress.com/2014/02/02/7-steps-to-better-practice/"]7 Steps To Better Practice[/url]

Hopefully you'll find it helpful!