Why become a member? ×

NBD - Geddy Lee Jazz in the wrong colour!

Woodinblack

After doing all my research on the G&L basses, I looked on ebay, and there was a fender Geddy Lee bass for sale, that was for sale as collection only, and coincidentally it was near basingstoke, where I was spending a weekend at a jam event.
I alway liked the geddy lees after trying one in wunjo, so I put a snipe on it, a lot lower than the BIN price, but what I thought was reasonable.
Anyway, I ended up the highest bidder, but below the reserve, so it didn't work. But I thought I would contact him anyway, and with a bit of haggling we came to the price between his reserve and what I wanted to pay, so I picked it up saturday morning, which was great as the jam was in the evening.

So here it is, one geddy lee in sunburst instead of black. Plays really nicely:

[attachment=189914:IMG_6028.jpg]

And it turns out, the first song I ever played on it live was.. nope, not a rush song, it was Mama Mia :blush:

I didn't get it for the Geddy Lee connection, although he is one of my great influences, I don't actually like signature models.

However, the neck on this is lovely, even by jazz standards, and there isn't really much that makes it a geddy lee apart from a squiggle on the back. Strangely the bloke I got it from said he wanted to change as it was too heavy, so I was quite surprised how light it was!

I'm quite happy to take a signature bass for what it is - I'd never dream of buying a sig bass because of the name on it, but if the spec's right, then bring it on !

Oddly, I never really listened to any Rush until I was thinking of buying a Geddy Lee model, but did so to check out the bass sound people seemed to rave about so much. Ended up learning a few tunes just to stretch myself and found myself far less averse to the Canadian Progsters than I thought.

Mrs. Pook's right tho - he does sing like a girl.

:)

Edited by ahpook

It had 40-80 gauge strings on it. Couldn't cope with that, so I picked up some Fender 45-100s while I was out (never tried the fender strings, thought I would give them a try, and they were cheapest!).
Obviously that has sent the neck in an upward path and I found the joy of the truss rod adjustment on these basses. They still do that in this day and age? Bit of a pain anyway.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1429540319' post='2752412']
It had 40-80 gauge strings on it. Couldn't cope with that, so I picked up some Fender 45-100s while I was out (never tried the fender strings, thought I would give them a try, and they were cheapest!).
Obviously that has sent the neck in an upward path and I found the joy of the truss rod adjustment on these basses. They still do that in this day and age? Bit of a pain anyway.
[/quote]

40-80 ? Blimey, and I thought I liked light strings.

Can I ask - does your Badass bridge have grooves filed in it ?

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1429540319' post='2752412']
[/quote]

40-80 ? Blimey, and I thought I liked light strings - the havier strings should suit it more I think.

Can I ask - does your Badass bridge have grooves filed in it ?

Looks like this. It has big slots - is that what you mean by grooves?

[URL=http://s405.photobucket.com/user/alienrat/media/badass_zpshlf1pedc.jpg.html][IMG]http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp133/alienrat/badass_zpshlf1pedc.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Funny, the string spacing seems like it is very narrow, as the strings are quite clear of the edge of the neck, and the two outer strings match up with the two inner pole pieces of the pickup

That's different to mine - mine had grooves/slots cut so that the strings splayed out and sat between the pole pieces. don't like this arrangement. I much prefer a straight line from the end of the string all the way up to the nut. I actually replaced my bridge for a Badass with no grooves at all.

Edited by ahpook

It looks odd to me, although it certainly doesn't seem to cause me any trouble so far. Maybe at some point it will get changed as I get the feeling I will be hanging onto this bass for a while. First thing I want for it though would be a hipshot xtender

Mine's black and came with a black scratchplate the previous owner had bought....which is good as I'd have bought one myself anyway (see pic)

I've tried the white one back on it but...naaaaah - It looks like an ice cream.

Edited by ahpook