Why become a member? ×

Aria ZZB Custom mods help required.

DarkHeart

I own a reasonably good but roadwarn unmodified ZZB and i love how it plays and feels and being in a `70`s `80`s rock covers band it looks the part, however the original pups are very weak compared to everything else i own. Problem is the pups are an odd size, theyre inbetween 4 string width and 5 string width and i would like to keep originality if at all possible. My options are:-

1, Live with it (not the one i want really)
2, Get it routed for 5 string pups but lose originality
3, A preamp bearing in mind its a 2 knob and a selector switch configuration (my preferred option but im clueless about preamps)
4, Get the original pups rewound (possibly the best option depending on cost)

Im all ears, any help with this will be gratefully received, id like to stick to a budget of around£120 tops!

this is the beasty
[URL=http://s80.photobucket.com/user/jeffhop/media/SNV80455_zps59556e49.jpg.html][IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j186/jeffhop/SNV80455_zps59556e49.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1428852241' post='2745249']
This is what's under the pup cover.
[attachment=189160:IMG_3467.JPG]

Rather a lot of solid resin. Getting that rewound might cost more than the new replacements
[/quote]

The resin can be softened & removed by immersing it in a jar of Dichloromethane (keep the lid on the jar as it's vile stuff). However...

The OP's pickups are unlikely to be potted. Here's one of the MB-IVs out of my ZZB Custom:—

The windings are protected by a silk tape & little else. The brass plate on the left acts as a shielding plate & is glued in with something like Evo-Stik - it'll probably just pop out.

My ZZB is no slouch in the volume department. This pattern has magnetic poles & I wonder if it's those that are the cause - maybe they've become de-magnetised.

If that's the cause, it might be worth trying a bar magnet across the underside - essentially turning it into an MB-III:—

Failing that a rewind should be pretty straightforward.
As for replacements, Armstrongs ought to be able to provide pretty much anything that'll fit in their Aria mould, whereas Rautia tend towards direct clones complete with separate covers.

Personally I'd steer away from the rewind option & get a pair of Armstrongs, then sell the MB-IVs on in their original condition. They won't hang around.

Pete.

Ah, the ZZB is couple of years older than my SB Elite. I guess that accounts for the potting/no potting...

I may go with Armstrongs, as I think I want to customise the pickup slightly.

Edited by bartelby

Hmmm this is the back of one of my pups, im going to go the new pup route from Armstrongs but unless i can sell my Squier P its going to get done one pup at a time.

[URL=http://s80.photobucket.com/user/jeffhop/media/P1060111_zpsj8cmncxg.jpg.html][IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j186/jeffhop/P1060111_zpsj8cmncxg.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1429363006' post='2750809']
Hmmm this is the back of one of my pups, im going to go the new pup route from Armstrongs but unless i can sell my Squier P its going to get done one pup at a time.[/quote]

Yup, same as mine.

If you run a Stanley blade (or even a flat-bladed screwdriver) around the glue line, the brass plate will pop out revealing the bobbin.

That gives you the option to have them rewound.

Hi,same kinda pick up on the CSB cardinal series,they are quiet hot in fact.
Played a zzb back in the day and it was no slouch in the sound department,as usual with arias of the period they have great playing necks.
Try raising the pick ups closer to the strings or have you tried that already?,not being cheeky just wondering.
Pre amp pedal is a good idea if the core sound is there,I take it that they sound good just a bit quiet compared to other basses.To keep prices down get a behringer bdi21 pedal s/h to try out,cheap as chips and not a big loss if you don,t like it-a lot of bass players use them and like them.They also double up as a DI box so you can play live through PA and record without an amp/cab/combo-sans amp.
Another route is to get a loud rig like Orange or summit of that ilk and a pre amp pedal/multi fx unit and DI into PA as well.
I bought my bdi21 s/h for £6 and have been using it for close on 8-9 years solid and it still works perfect.