Why become a member? ×

NBD - Cort GB44, Blue-trans.

7tenths

Well...it was marketed by Cort as 'trans-blue, but it's more like sea-green. I know it doesn't exist without pics, but being a fussy-tog, pics will have to wait until tomorrow :)
Saw it sitting there on 'evil-bay' looking all sad & lonely, threw a low bid at it and won for £75. Hasn't seen much use by the look of it. Big fat 'Mighty-Mite' bucker, MM style 'chunky' bridge with strung-thru' option, off-set abalone 'type' dots, black hardware and made in Korea 2001.

Pics of my actual bass to follow....

Edited by 7tenths

I like it as it's 'light', small bodied (basswood). Just about to drop David Konig' "Stinger" pre-amp in it and have just snipped the wires for the 'stock' pre-amp, thought I would have a quick look over it and it has 'Spector' printed on it? Can anyone shed any thoughts as to why this would have a Spector pre-amp? I know that Cort did fit a few 'Fishman' pre's to some of their basses....odd :blink:

[quote name='anzoid' timestamp='1428824618' post='2744763'] Saw that and nearly put a bid in - was watching for a week :) Passed it up for a fretless 5-string that appeared a few days ago that should be here Friday. Enjoy the Cort - looked like a lovely bass. [/quote]

I'm gad you found a 'fiver' to bid on 'anzoid', I did use an auction-sniper with a £100 limit, as I thought it was at least worth a 'ton', ended up getting it for the £75 opening-bid, so very happy :D

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1428831733' post='2744872']
Great score! These are killer basses for the cash, I literally sold tons of them back when they came out as I worked for a Cort dealer. If memory serves me right, they were £179 back then, which is about £269 these days. Enjoy!
[/quote]

Hey, thanks 'Chiliwailer'. I've wanted a single bucker bass ala G&L 'wunkay' ....I just don't have G&L 'affordability' right now ;-) The pickup on the Cort GB44 is HUGE as is the MM style bridge, even if the latter is just screwed straight into the wood-body. Just waiting for the soldering iron to warm up and then put the 'Stinger' pre-amp in. I think I'll clean and oil the neck too, it's a little dirty and polish the frets while I'm at it before the new strings go on, then plug her in and see how she sounds :)

I might drop the 'Spector' pre-amp which came out of this Cort into my fretless....

Edited by 7tenths

[quote name='7tenths' timestamp='1428829120' post='2744831']
I'm gad you found a 'fiver' to bid on 'anzoid', I did use an auction-sniper with a £100 limit, as I thought it was at least worth a 'ton', ended up getting it for the £75 opening-bid, so very happy :D
[/quote]
Hmmm, not sure if I would have bid that high. I think I probably had £80 to £90 in mind but then the fiver came along and I just watched the GB44 auction finish. Had a twinge of regret I didn't bid and I may have been tempted to keep going if I had... so probaby just as well my attention got diverted elsewhere.

If another one comes up though... might be tempted if it goes for a good price. Picked up a Vintage branded stingray copy last April and chucked an EMG MMCS in it and it is an absolute killer now. Might have done the same if I'd gone for the GB44.

There was a black GB54 that went a couple of days after that I had my eye on too, but again, the fretless fiver caught my attention :) Would like to know how much one of those weighs in comparison to the GB44 - favourably or not...