Why become a member? ×

NCD: Boom Shake Shake Shake the Room .....

Jenny_Innie

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1428952363' post='2746394']
how loud are the 2 retros? do they need a big head? have a nice tax return coming soon and thinking a couple of these might be cool but the ctm-100 being 100w would this be as loud as my 810?

andy
[/quote]

Hi Andy. I played them together at the weekend. One is a 12 Ohm, the other is a 4 Ohm. Played together, at a private party with 200 or so rowdy rugby club people, they were just too loud. It meant that I couldn't get the RH750 volume knob on more than 2 - which makes it borderline cut out. Might be different on a big stage, but way too loud as they were.

The problem is, that if I have them both converted to 12 Ohm, then one of them isn't loud enough on its own.

Lozz's post earlier on piqued my interest in that I see you can get a box or lead which means you can run cabs like this in serial. So, if I get them both converted to 4 Ohm (or the one that isn't at least) then I can run the pair at 8 Ohms together. I might also start using a smaller amp unless the room is very, very big.

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1428953464' post='2746414']
Hi Andy. I played them together at the weekend. One is a 12 Ohm, the other is a 4 Ohm. Played together, at a private party with 200 or so rowdy rugby club people, they were just too loud. It meant that I couldn't get the RH750 volume knob on more than 2 - which makes it borderline cut out. Might be different on a big stage, but way too loud as they were.

The problem is, that if I have them both converted to 12 Ohm, then one of them isn't loud enough on its own.

Lozz's post earlier on piqued my interest in that I see you can get a box or lead which means you can run cabs like this in serial. So, if I get them both converted to 4 Ohm (or the one that isn't at least) then I can run the pair at 8 Ohms together. I might also start using a smaller amp unless the room is very, very big.
[/quote]

thats promising! as id want to get 2 4 ohms to use as a 2 ohm load into my ctm, will see if i can work this out after i get a tax return.

andy

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1428953464' post='2746414']
Lozz's post earlier on piqued my interest in that I see you can get a box or lead which means you can run cabs like this in serial. So, if I get them both converted to 4 Ohm (or the one that isn't at least) then I can run the pair at 8 Ohms together. I might also start using a smaller amp unless the room is very, very big.[/quote]

That would make a lot of sense! I know I considered that when we were discussing the various options but had discounted it because of maximising loudness with two cabs. But it sounds like they're more than loud enough for you with both so a 4 ohm pair in series (8 ohm total) makes sense and then a 4 ohm cab for one cab outings.