Why become a member? ×

Cabs for budding bassist

Shredder

Hi all, I'm Shredder aka Phil. I'm new to the boards so don't really know if this should go here but anyway.... currently I have a 100 Watt Kustom amp and a Fernandes TREMOR bass.

I'm looking to step up my sound but not sure what to look for in terms of cabs etc..

I'm in a 3 piece band with no singer (drummer occassionally sings, depends on the song) but we don't gig as yet, we cover about 5 songs fairly well (some without lyrics).

My current amp isn't bad for practice but there comes a time when I will need more power! Any suggestions guys? Thanks in advance. :)

Good too meet a new member shredder, I hope you enjoy your stay!

Firstly, there is an Amps and Cabinets Forum where you'll probably get more replies, But not to worry! Im sure a mod will be along to sort that out any second now! ^_^

Secondly, It might be worth telling us what kind of music you are playing, What bassists tone you like, and probably most importantly what your budget is!

Anyway, Good luck!! :)

[quote name='Shredder' post='265365' date='Aug 19 2008, 12:08 PM']My current amp isn't bad for practice but there comes a time when I will need more power! Any suggestions guys? Thanks in advance. :)[/quote]

It's hard to know what would be good for you without knowing more about the kind of music that you are playing and the kind of venue that you will be playing in.

What I would suggest is to not purchase a bigger amp until you need it. The longer you wait, the better you will understand your requirements.

S.P.

[quote name='ste_m3' post='265370' date='Aug 19 2008, 12:12 PM']Good too meet a new member shredder, I hope you enjoy your stay!

Firstly, there is an Amps and Cabinets Forum where you'll probably get more replies, But not to worry! Im sure a mod will be along to sort that out any second now! ^_^

Secondly, It might be worth telling us what kind of music you are playing, What bassists tone you like, and probably most importantly what your budget is!

Anyway, Good luck!! :)[/quote]

Hi Ste, thanks for your reply, the covers we are currently playing are:
Incubus - Anna Molly, Vitimin,
Taking back sunday - Damn Sure
Alkaline Trio - Private Eye
Senses Fail - Sick or Sane
Papa Roach - Angels and Insects
Goldfinger - Anxiety

(Mostly rock / Punk)

I'm a massive fan of Nikki Sixx, alot of people seem to think his bass lines are simple, but I also admire his song writing abilities.

Budget would probably be up to £400 give or take :huh:

Well! All those artists have quite a clean punchy sound. So i would perhaps suggest Gallien-Krueger or SWR.

Both i Believe will come in a above your budget though.

If you could get hold of it i think [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25541"]THIS[/url] would be fantastic!

Hello,

Welcome to basschat. Firstly good tunes, big Incubus fan. As you said its rock type stuff you are playing which will have some effect on the kind of gear you choose. I have played in rock bands forever it seems and have had a few amps in my time. I started with Trace Elliot years back and they were fantastic, and I have since had Ashdown and Epifani amps, and regularly used Ampeg and Peavey gear.

I am currently just about to finish a Ashdown Rig which consists of a ABM 4x8 cab with Ashdown Evo head. I love ashdown because I find it simple to use sturdy and it has a good rock tone. At the moment you can pick up some really good Ashdown cabs and heads for very good money and around your £400 budget if you want seperates. Peavey is also worth looking at, as well as Gallien Kreuger stuff although not a lot of Gallien stuff used on here or ebay at the moment.

If a bigger combo is what you are after then again Ashdown are good value as are Peavey and Gallien and all well proven rock type amps. Ampeg can be a bit expensive but occasionally deals can be found.

As a guide i always look for used gear as your money tends to go further.

Good luck anyway.

[quote name='ste_m3' post='265414' date='Aug 19 2008, 12:43 PM']Well! All those artists have quite a clean punchy sound. So i would perhaps suggest Gallien-Krueger or SWR.

If you could get hold of it i think [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25541"]THIS[/url] would be fantastic![/quote]

Ste, My mates selling this [url="http://www.warwickbass.com/amps/amps03.htm"]HEAD[/url] and this [url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/acatalog/info_ABM210T.html"]CAB[/url]

For £300 in total, you think it's worth it?

welcome shredder!

I recently upgraded to a budget stack, got an ashdown EB180 head with MAG 210T and 115 cabs off ebay for £250 and for a budget rig it really does sound pretty good, not amazing but it sounds good for the price. The only drawback is that it's f***ing heavy!

EDIT: oh yeah and i like to play rock, metal, funk and stuff and this amp sounds very good for it, fairly versatile.

Edited by budget bassist

I've been using an Ashdown Mag 300w 2x10 combo for approx four years. Never had any probs with it either. Depending on the gig, it gets teamed with the Mag 300w 1x15 cab for a bit of extra oomph!!!
Failing that, have a look at the Line6 Lowdown combos. Been very impressed with what i've heard.
:)

Hope it helps.

If you can stretch to it I reckon [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25318"]THIS[/url] is a good little rig! (I know I know, I have one so I'm very biased etc, but it's a damn fine sound and suprisingly versatile for such a simple little thing).

[quote name='ste_m3' post='265414' date='Aug 19 2008, 12:43 PM']Well! All those artists have quite a clean punchy sound. So i would perhaps suggest Gallien-Krueger or SWR.

If you could get hold of it i think [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25541"]THIS[/url] would be fantastic![/quote]

Good call.

I'm gonna jump on the Ashdown bandwagon here, in that I believe their ABM gear as far as heads and 210 and 410 cabs and combos go, is great value for money (I've not tried anything else by them). On the flip side, while I've no personal experience, the negative reviews seem to outweigh the positive ones, with regard to their 115 cabs and combos. I think 10's will do you just fine for your type of music anyhow.

In addition to what I've just said, that GK combo would probably do the job just as well, if not better.