Why become a member? ×

Which new bass to go for? (Choice of 3)

Storky

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1428061620' post='2737623']
Yep understood.....i should have included that i'm considering for future modifications.
[/quote]

Ahh, now I get you. Obviously your choice of drop in replacements is pretty limited with the Cabronita - TV Jones stuff looks like it should fit but apart from that it'll be get the router out and/or hide the mess with a pickguard.

Thanks for the comments, all very interesting.

I went to guitarguitar yesterday with the idea of getting the cabronita as it would be almost a straight swap. Anyway it was pretty good, quite a deep (which I liked) glossy (which I didn't like) neck. I groped the neck of a few Ibenez basses, but they were just too narrow although they felt great otherwise. I also tried the Jack Casady which sounded good, very full and it was light, but it felt a bit cheap to me with its painted neck.

Then out of curiosity I then tried a Fender American De-Lux Dimension.

Big mistake! The neck had a great oiled finish and it was thicker than a jazz, more a modern Precision "C". It felt really nice. Then I plugged it in and it sounded the best of the ones I had tried, it was neither a P or a J but had a modern sound which I liked. (I had also tried a couple of Jazzes and a Stingray as well as a Lakland 55-02 (they didn't have any 44-02s).

It was three times the price of the Cabronita, but although I tried, there was no going back! I got a good PX price and financed the rest interest free over 12 months. Look out for the NBD thread!

[quote name='Storky' timestamp='1427904286' post='2735726']
Thanks for the replies so far.

Any more suggestions or which of the three would others go for?

All opinions appreciated.
[/quote]

The Casady, just because I want to hear what a player thinks of it. (So, weirdly, you'd be doing me a favor.)

W.

Painted necks feel "cheap"? How come, surely it takes more effort and time (and therefore cost more) to do a neck in a solid colour rather than just a clear coat? Not trying to pick a fight, it just doesn't make logical sense to me.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1428099653' post='2738175']
Painted necks feel "cheap"?
[/quote]

I suppose if it's a cheap paint job on a cheap bass. I like a good handful of naked wood myself (giggity) and always assumed I wouldn't get on with painted necks, but the painted neck on my Spector Euro was class and I loved it.

I think the painted neck thing is a personal preference; thinking about it, it wasn't so much the neck that made the JC seem a little cheep; the switching was quite light weight and felt a little flimsy. Nice bass though, i wouldn't rule out getting one at some point, but I personally prefer the feel of naked wood(!)

Great comments and good to get peoples opinions, thanks guys. :)