Why become a member? ×

COG Knightfall 66 diode options

Spoonman

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hey everyone,[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I've had this pedal for a couple of weeks now, and it sounds excellent. I think I've finally found the overdrive I've been seeking for ages.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I've just been having a play around with the internal diode selector, and just wondering what exactly they do. From what I understand the options are: LED, Si, Ge, Rectifier, and standard Knightfall MOSFET. [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]There are 10 switches numbered 1-10, so presumably 5 options for each channel. [/font][/size]

There's probably a certain amount of 'use yours ears' in this question, and I've found some cool settings that I like, but does anyone know which switch goes to which diode? And what are the characteristics of each one that I should be hearing? I.E. Are some brighter? Do some sound better at higher gain? etc...

Thanks in advance.

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hey bud,[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Glad you're liking the pedal!![/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Here's the diode menu:[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]1 - Channel 2 MOSFET[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2 - Channel 2 LED[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]3 - Channel 2 Germanium[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]4 - Channel 2 Rectifier[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]5 - Channel 2 Silicon[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]6 - Channel 1 Silicon[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]7 - Channel 1 Rectifier[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]8 - Channel 1 Germanium[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]9 - Channel 1 LED[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]10 - Channel 1 MOSFET[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Characteristics wise, the Fuzzrocious descriptions are decent:[/font][/size][list]
[*][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Silicon: warm, compressed, normal sounding[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Rectifer: compressed and a little more dirty than silicon[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Germanium: quiet, vintage, warm, perhaps some top end rolloff[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]LED: loud, brash, nasty[/font][/size]
[/list]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]MOSFET would then give you a softer, more tube-like tone.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]That said, the bulk of the clipping on the 66 circuit is from the Opamps, the diodes are just adding character really, and that character can obviously be somewhat effected by the circuit in which they sit, so essentially, don't take the above tonal descriptions as gospel, just a guide :)[/font][/size]

I tend to keep my channel 1 as low gain Germs, with channel 2 being high gain LEDs.

Hope it helps.
Si