Why become a member? ×

Four string with BEAD?

graham1945

• 6 years later...
On 04/03/2015 at 17:36, graham1945 said:

Hi all, thanks for the feedback, all (or most of it) very useful.
Just a few reasons for asking. I already have several fivers and have been playing fivers since 1972. At present I'm in a Motown/northern soul band and find that I very rarely find myself using the G string and thought that the addition of a simple P bass, with a nice wide neck, and strung BEAD might be a good option, just so long as there are no technical issues. Looks as though there aren't, so it's P bass here I come! Thanks.
Cheers
Graham

Well, as the o OP of this post, I can now update with my experience. I never got round to trying this at the time but, as a result of advancing age and wrist problems, I purchased a very well set up Mexican Precision Bass on here and fitted strings tuned to BEAD with no mods at all, and it's a revelation! As stated above I rarely used the G string and can access most higher notes that I may occasionally need on the D.

I'm a very happy bunny! 👍👍👍👍👍

• Like 2

On 03/03/2015 at 12:47, chris_b said:

I don't see the point of BEAD. Surely everyone needs to play notes on the G string? As solutions go it seems like a bodge to get around having to do the work required to play a 5 string.

If you want to add a B string to your current instrument just bite the bullet and get a 5 string bass and deal with the fact that is is a different instrument and will require an amount of practice to feel comfortable.

If you're playing certain styles of metal, you'd never use the G string and rarely use the D. It just gets too bright. 

I did use an Ibanez SR300 tuned BEAD for a while, it was OK but I replaced it with a 5 string Stingray which had better definition on the B string, possibly due to the bigger neck. I ended up taking off the G string since I never used it.

• Thanks 1