Why become a member? ×

Play of the Day : ‘Ivor, Revisited’, from xgsjx...

Dad3353

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:184565]
[size=4]Good evening, all...[/size]
[size=4]Here is my own, personal, view of the compositions presented in the monthly BC Composition Challenge, in randomly chosen order. I hope that at least some of you may be inspired to give the pieces a listen, and perhaps vote for your favourite. All of them can be heard here...[/size]

[size=4][url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/256313-february-composition-challenge-voting/"]BC February Composition Challenge voting...[/url][/size]

[size=4]... and the 'Play of the Day' here ...[/size]

[size=4][url="http://soundcloud.com/xgsjx/ivor-revisited"]‘Ivor, Revisited’, from xgsjx...[/url][/size]

[size=4]A hissing of vapour, a series of (reversed..?) vamped, unsettling chords and an off-beat blast from a steam whistle have their tempo lifted by a hihat, pitched at the limit of my old cloth ears. A climax builds, then explodes into a complex rhythm of indus, handclaps and ethnic percussion and a booming synthetic bass. Once the beat is settled, an arpeggio arrives, following the chords with insistence. The cycle of chords is repeated relentlessly until, finally, the percussion and bass are left alone, giving us a brief respite. Not for long, however, as the repeated blasts announce the return of the chord sequence. Suddenly, all is calm, as the backing drops away, leaving only the exhortion of the chordal vamp. From this momentary calm, another climax launches a very heavy disco beat (count '1, 1, 1, 1...'; that sort...), with a 'Doctor Who' 'melody' and a croaking frog backbeat. The vamped chords are now almost hidden; a second sonority joins the Good Doctor; we just have time for a short spell of arpggio before all is washed away with a steam hose, and the chords are left to fade out...[/size]
[size=4]There is much to appreciate in this work, and an adherence to the spirit of the picture (as felt by the compositor...) is evident; there are also a couple of minor niggles. We'll deal with these first... The opening of the piece works, and works well, but the principal theme becomes wearing; we are relieved when the break finally comes. Equally, the transition into the second theme is fine enough, but I'm not, myself, an afficianado of '80s clubs, and certainly wouldn't stay long in any joint pumping out beats of this sort. A matter of taste, certainly, and, to be fair, the 'big beat' is shorter than the first section.[/size]
[size=4]Enough of the griping (it's not that bad, but it's late and I'm tired...); an honest and fidele representation of the photo, which, despite my slight reserves, does manage to keep us interested right to the end. The notion is there, it's well thought out and arranged, and cleanly played out. I'll not be playing it a lot in the car, though, as I don't now do the longer trips that this may suit. [/size]

[size=4]The previous review was...[/size]

[size=4][url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/256417-play-of-the-day-loaded-from-lurksalot/"]Play of the Day : ‘Loaded’, from lurksalot...[/url][/size]

[size=4]The next will feature [url="http://soundcloud.com/dredd-and-the-badass-weed/duel"]‘Duel 2’, from Leonard Smalls...[/url][/size]

[size=4]Until then...[/size]

[size=4]Have a nice day[/size]

[size=4]Douglas[/size]

Thanks Dad. :)

I know this style of stuff isn't to everyone's cuppa, so your feedback is most welcome.
I've always been one for making things a bit too long or repetitive (or both).
I'll take your advice & see if I can apply it in the next composition.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1424705489' post='2699377']
Thanks Dad. :)

I know this style of stuff isn't to everyone's cuppa, so your feedback is most welcome.
I've always been one for making things a bit too long or repetitive (or both).
I'll take your advice & see if I can apply it in the next composition.
[/quote]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1424705765' post='2699382']
I liked it!
[/quote]

Lenny's eloquence says it all. :huh:

:lol: :P