Why become a member? ×

At what point is it not an Ibanez?

chaypup

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Ibanez-2365-B-Jazz-Bass-Guitar-grlc1345/301505979559?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107083358%26meid%3D1116524dbefa48f89700f156d64b8e1a%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D7%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D321669343893

[Quote][color=#111111][font=Times][center]We suspect that the body is not original to the guitar. ... We can confirm that the guard, knobs, pickups, tuners and bridge are all original Ibanez[/Quote][/center][/font][/color]

I wouldn't call that an Ibanez if the body isn't original...
Wouldn't go for that bass, as the gap at th top of the neck pocket is huge :o
...and the mounting plate is rather wonky
I'd be asking myself what the holes in the neck are like, as there may be 2 sets of them

Interesting question though - if the neck, guard, electrics etc are Ibanez, but the body is not.... is it still an Ibanez?

Fascinated how he knows that "the guard, knobs, pickups, tuners and bridge are all original Ibanez", and what exactly he thinks that means.

Irresepective of the fact "Ibanez" isn't a manufacturer & never made anything, ever, the hardware & pickups used on these basses came from manufacturers such as Gotoh, Nisshin Onpa, Chushin etc, and is also generic on many other 70s MIJ basses from dozens of unrelated brands.

If it's an original headstock decal - and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt based on the 3-part neck construction - then that's the only thing I'd say was made by Fujigen Gakki, & the only thing you could call "Ibanez". I'd be 99% sure it's not a Fujigen body, & there's no reason to believe it's MIJ or even from the same era.

Jon.