Why become a member? ×

Are Yanks Welcomed?

hoytbasses

Greetings: I just discovered this page.

Karl Hoyt here from Cape Cod, Ma, USA

I'm a 50 something bassist/trumpeter who has played in 'weekend warrior' bands his whole life usually gigging 3-6 x/month.

mostly R&B and Jazz , but have played in country bands, bluegrass bands and big bands... I currently play (on call) with an up and coming Lady from the UK named Zoe Lewis......

For my 'day job' I teach high school students to build acoustic and electric guitars and I build a few stringed instruments on commission myself.

I'm a dad of 3, grand-dad of 3, and ride a Norton Commando!

Take Care and thanks for letting me in :-)

Karl Hoyt.

[url="http://www.hoytbasses.com"]my cheesy webpage[/url]

hey, those basses are pretty awesome man. i grew up in Stratford, CT and they never taught us any luthier skills in high school :)

Stratford is pretty rubbish though.

anyways, welcome :huh:

EDIT: just thought i should mention, i've had a good look around your site now, the basses are beautiful and i totally agree with your philosophy about "playable, go-to" basses. i only saw one EUB on there, do you have pics of others that you've done? i'm not in the market at the moment but i plan to be in a few years time, once i finish uni.

Edited by escholl

I'll respond to all who commented :

Thanks for the nice comments; yes, I do have more pix of EUB's.. e-mail me if you're interested in that.

yes, I lurk around TB sometimes (that's how I found out about this site)

and I don't teach at the college level, they are high school (age 14-18) age kids......

here's an in-progress pic of a EUB I built a few years ago for a professor at berklee: wild and completely able to be disassembled. he plays all over the place and the whole bass fits into a hard-shell golf bag!

thanks: that was one of a series of 4 matching archtops I was commissioned to build a couple of years ago. Archtops are rediculously time consuming: about 50 hours to carve and graduate the top alone... but they are way cool.

and no wars started by me....... I'm (was) a lover not a fighter :-)

thanks for the warm welcome

Karl Hoyt

[quote name='hoytbasses' post='262681' date='Aug 14 2008, 09:16 PM']and no wars started by me....... I'm (was) a lover not a fighter :-)[/quote]

I had such a feeling just by reading your past and present professions. People like you are welcomed warmly everywhere you go, be here also!

[quote name='Weird War' post='262777' date='Aug 14 2008, 09:28 PM']Hey Karl

Your instruments look terrific, and welcome to the forum.

Cheers

Doug

p.s. my middle name is Karl - do I win a free bass?[/quote]

Why YES......... in fact it's all boxed up and ready to go: I was wondering when you were going to contact me about that! The only thing is I need a small amount of money to cover the shipping, taxes, etc: about 1200 GBP ought to do it :-)

kfh