Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz Streamliner Gain

steviedee

I've got got a Genz Benz Streamliner which I really like. The only niggle I have is there is no footswitch to engage the gain! I know I could just walk over to my amp and hit the switch but I don't. Is there anyway I can use a pedal to drive the preamp and not increase the volume just get a natural distortion. If so what would be a good suggestion?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1423931117' post='2690511']
I do just this... set everything up so that the gain is pushed over the edge when you stomp on the pedal. I was using an M80 which has a separate disto channel, but a BDI-21 pushes it just as well and is a lot cheaper, too.
[/quote]

Cheers discrete do you have the gain switch on with a clean tone and then the pedal drives the amp? I'm a bit hopeless when it comes to this stuff. I don't want to increase the volume. So would I increase the gain and decrease the volume on the pedal and that would do the trick?

It's a bit of a balancing act, but what I do is have the Blend and Level set on the pedal and the Gain set just so on the amp so that the volume appears to be the same when the pedal is on or off, only you get a bit of grit from the gain when the extra signal from the pedal pushes it over into distortion.

You can do much the same thing by setting the Gain where you want it for distortion and backing off your volume control on the bass a little so it's cleaner - then whacking the volume control up full for the grit when you want it. Then you don't have to buy a pedal... :) It's a bit trial and error from the point of view of not having too much of a volume increase, but once you've figured it out, that's it. The key is setting the Gain at exactly the right point so it's acceptably clean when you want it to be, yet doesn't take too much extra signal to push it over.

The joy of the Streamliner is you can set your Gain and Volume just so and use the Master for overall control of the level. I don't know why more amps don't have Gain > Volume > Master, but they don't!

I'm feeling pretty dumb here. So on the streamliner if I set the gain and volume to a setting I like and the master to whatever. No matter how strong the signal going in, if it's reached peak volume it won't get any louder. But it will be more overdriven if the signal is stronger.

So for instance, my stingray runs way hotter than my Rickie so I could just roll back the volume on my Stingray (it seems so simple). I've been thinking of all manner of convoluted solutions.

Edited by steviedee

[quote name='steviedee' timestamp='1423929482' post='2690487']
I've got got a Genz Benz Streamliner which I really like. The only niggle I have is there is no footswitch to engage the gain! I know I could just walk over to my amp and hit the switch but I don't. Is there anyway I can use a pedal to drive the preamp and not increase the volume just get a natural distortion. If so what would be a good suggestion?
[/quote]
I use to do like this: I set the gain and the preamp volume at around 2 o'clock, depending on what bass I use. Then I control the overdrive with my fingers and playing style. When I "hold back" the amp is nice and clean, but when I dig in I am rewarded with a nice grind, without changing settings. Try your own settings to find your own "sweet spot"...

Edited by bassmayhem

[quote name='bassmayhem' timestamp='1423940543' post='2690702']
I use to do like this: I set the gain and the preamp volume at around 2 o'clock, depending on what bass I use. Then I control the overdrive with my fingers and playing style. When I "hold back" the amp is nice and clean, but when I dig in I am rewarded with a nice grind, without changing settings. Try your own settings to find your own "sweet spot"...
[/quote]

This is a good simple way to do it, but depending on how a gig's going I find that sometimes I just don't have the dynamic control necessary! If I'm getting excited I tend to play harder and my carefully-selected sweet spot goes out the window! :)

Thus proving once again that it's all in the fingers. ;)

Edited by discreet

One of my main issues is the bass I want for overdriven sounds is passive and the bass I have for clean sounds is active though I have just bought a jazz. I found a real volume boost when switching to the 'clean' bass so I just stopped using the gain channel and used pedals for a bit of overdrive and to equalise the volume. Just switched settings when I changed bass but I actually like the sound from the Streamliner. If I could set the amp so it's still clean but on the cusp of distorting (as discrete suggested) on my 'overdriven' bass and use a pedal to drive the amp. And if I could roll back the volume on my active clean bass to stop it distorting but keep a consistent volume that would be ideal.

Edited by steviedee

Cheers lads I need to spend a bit more time messing around with the amp. But my gear is in the studio and time is precious so you end up going with the imperfect solution!

I'll defintely turn the gain on tho!

Edited by steviedee

[quote name='steviedee' timestamp='1423946972' post='2690822']
Cheers lads I need to spend a bit more time messing around with the amp. But my gear is in the studio and time is precious so you end up going with the imperfect solution! I'll defintely turn the gain on tho!
[/quote]

Yes, do that! I have my rig next to my computer and my bass in my lap at all times when I'm on BC.
In fact I have been known to go to the kitchen and make a cup of tea still wearing it, but that's probably going too far... :biggrin:

I would suggest you turn up the gain until you reach the point where the sound is just beginning to distort. That is what's called 'the sweet spot'. Then back the gain off a touch so you're just back to hearing clean bass. Now if you use a pedal (or volume knob, or your fingers) to increase the signal going to the amp you'll get some break up. Tweak it to suit your needs. Personally I dont worry about a the volume rising a bit when I use distortions, as I'm probably only using that effect in a loud section anyhow.

Cheers Ratman thanks for the reply, the reason a pedal option to drive the gain would be good is my 'clean' bass which is active has a considerably stronger signal than my 'distorted' bass which is passive. Hitting the button, allowed me to set the gain so the volumes were quite similar. But I couldn't be bothered walking over to my amp so I just used a pedal to add grit. I'm looking at a 2 channel pre at the moment so I can have seperate EQs and levels and I also need an option for the upright. So that might be the thing to allow me to have the gain always on.