Why become a member? ×

15" drive unit?

Dan Dare

Why do you want to do this?

If it is to get a better sound then it's probably not the best way to go about it. Generally speakers are matched to cabs for best results. the Ampeg probably won't be the cheapest way of buying an empty box. Selling it unmodded and buying what you want may be the quickest way of getting the sound you are looking for.

If it is broken and you want to mend it then putting the same speaker in will give the best result in all probability.

If you just want a project then I'm sure we can suggest something that will work, you'll be taking a gamble on the sound, it might be better and it might not. What's your budget?

Jocelyn Peabody :)

I want better sound and to lighten the cab. Don't want to sell the cab as it matches my other one and you never get much selling them - certainly not what they're worth. Speakers aren't really matched to specific cabs - as long as the volume/porting is OK, you have considerable leeway. Budget not an issue.

Edited by Dan Dare

Fair enough if keeping a look is important :)

If cost is not an issue and you want light weight then the Eminence 3015HO is still one of the best out there. [url="http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Kappalite_3015.pdf"]http://www.eminence....palite_3015.pdf[/url]

Your statement about matching box and speaker isn't quite right, people get away with it because manufacturers do a lot of 'me too' products so most boxes and speakers fall within a narrow range but there remains the possibility of expensive mistakes. This is a sorry tail of what happens [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/218436-warning-kappalite-3015-not-designed-for-bass/page__hl__blue%20aran."]http://basschat.co.u...l__blue%20aran.[/url] there's some pictures of the damage caused by mis matching on the second page to save you reading the whole thing. I've no idea of what your technical level is so forgive me if I'm teaching Granny to suck eggs :). Nothing wrong with the Kappalite in this story just a mis matching box. It's also true that you can shape the bass response of a cab by fiddling with the design of the cab, just putting a speaker in a box is just like plugging a bass in to a new amp and leaving the eq untouched. I'm happy to look at what you'll get if you aren't comfortable with win ISD.

You need to say what a better sound is really. We all like different sounds. What are the shortcomings of your current cab?

Which Ampeg cab is it?

Edited by Phil Starr

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1423777361' post='2689034']
....Don't want to sell the cab as it matches my other one.... Budget not an issue....
[/quote]

Sound better. Get a good 212 cab (Bergantino/Barefaced/Aguilar) and sell [i]both[/i] of your cabs.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1423768053' post='2688877']
Looking to replace the basic Eminence 15" driver in an Ampeg cab. What would you chaps recommend? Thanks.
[/quote]

Sounds to me that you want to keep the Ampeg branding but upgarde the sound.
Risky business for certain reasons as alluded to above.
If Budget isn't a concern could you not go through the Ampeg range for the lightweight versions.
Or, is branding isn't an issue, get a a CN212 as your one cab solution.
But..altho Berg have bass player kudos, maybe it wouldn't cut it on a 'stage' gig...??

Thanks for suggestions. Cab is an SVT15E. The existing speaker is very crude sounding (unlike my VT210HE, which has a smooth tone) and weighs a ton. Must be possible to improve on it. Kappalite the obvious choice - with some additional bracing for the cab. Any others worth considering?

Just looked at that cab which looks to be about 90l, assuming it is tuned to about 50Hz it should work well with the 3015HO.

I don't think you will save quite as much weight as you hope, the speaker you have is probably about 10lbs heavier than the Kappalite. There's still a heavyweight box, however you will notice those 10lbs.