Why become a member? ×

Westone decals

itsmedunc

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1423582927' post='2686610']
"Hoax" on the Westone Forums does them, or used to anyway [url="http://forum.westoneguitars.net/t3460-westone-headstock-decal"]http://forum.westone...headstock-decal[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for that...

[quote name='Bloodaxe' timestamp='1423608445' post='2687098']
If you want to go down the DIY route, I have the following as vector art:

Pete.
[/quote]

Ooooh! That looks good Pete. I can probably do something with those! Have you got them on file or do you mean use the image and print it out? Sorry but I'm a bit thick...

Cheers

Dunc

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1423922786' post='2690398']
Ooooh! That looks good Pete. I can probably do something with those! Have you got them on file or do you mean use the image and print it out? Sorry but I'm a bit thick...

Cheers

Dunc
[/quote]

The posted images are low-res jpegs for preview purposes only. the 'file' version is done as a vector in Adobe Illustrator & the term 'resolution' doesn't apply as they're infinitely scaleable without loss. I can provide them as a PDF so you don't need any special software to view or print them at home, & commercial screenprinters shouldn't get any headaches either.

The drawback of printing decals at home is that you're pretty restricted on colours as the ink layer is going to be very thin (so yellow or red will tend to disappear on a black background), & metallics are out unless you have either an old ALPS foil printer or a laser printer & laminator and are feeling brave. Another issue with inkjets is how lightfast the inks are, in other words their tendency to fade under daylight/UV. Some are really good, but others can produce random colour shifts over time.

So... What colour is your refin going to be & which one (or one[u]s[/u]) did you want?

Pete.

I lifted 'CE-2 Chorus' from a pdf of the user manual and laser-printed it onto DIY waterslide decal and it came out quite good, but if you look closely it is a bit pixelated round the edges. Bloodaxe's route seems a better one, but my pedal ended up like this:

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1423935385' post='2690584']
I lifted 'CE-2 Chorus' from a pdf of the user manual and laser-printed it onto DIY waterslide decal and it came out quite good, but if you look closely it is a bit pixelated round the edges.[/quote]

Perfectly acceptable way of doing it especially if it's a case where there's no known typeface available or if there is but you're not comfortable with manipulating type in a vector-art program. The scanned method can fall apart if applied to smaller type—like the 'Original Custom Body' paragraph on old Arias—& in those cases there's little option but to get vector tracing. In your example, the pixellation could easily be passed off as 'screen bleed' :)

A bit of hunting produced this solution to the Boss typeface: http://disasterfonts.co.uk/fonts/free/toss — AFAIK that's been on the missing list for us DIY-ers for an age.

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' timestamp='1423934630' post='2690574']
The posted images are low-res jpegs for preview purposes only. the 'file' version is done as a vector in Adobe Illustrator & the term 'resolution' doesn't apply as they're infinitely scaleable without loss. I can provide them as a PDF so you don't need any special software to view or print them at home, & commercial screenprinters shouldn't get any headaches either.

The drawback of printing decals at home is that you're pretty restricted on colours as the ink layer is going to be very thin (so yellow or red will tend to disappear on a black background), & metallics are out unless you have either an old ALPS foil printer or a laser printer & laminator and are feeling brave. Another issue with inkjets is how lightfast the inks are, in other words their tendency to fade under daylight/UV. Some are really good, but others can produce random colour shifts over time.

So... What colour is your refin going to be & which one (or one[u]s[/u]) did you want?

Pete.
[/quote]

Hi Pete, that would be great if you could provide the artwork for the very first image above. Thats what was on originally. I was thinking red so black lettering would be good I think (if thats possible? I could always go with black though and use the image as is though. Would you be able to email them to the address in my signature? Also, let me know if you want anything for your trouble?

Cheers

Dunc

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1423935385' post='2690584']
I lifted 'CE-2 Chorus' from a pdf of the user manual and laser-printed it onto DIY waterslide decal and it came out quite good, but if you look closely it is a bit pixelated round the edges. Bloodaxe's route seems a better one, but my pedal ended up like this:

[/quote]

Hi, the water slide looks good enough to me! I'll have to source some water slide sheets. Either of the methods look like they will work but I'll try the vector first.

Thanks for all the help and advice...

Cheers

Dunc

Edited by itsmedunc

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1424003046' post='2691340']
Hi Pete, that would be great if you could provide the artwork for the very first image above. Thats what was on originally. I was thinking red so black lettering would be good I think (if thats possible? I could always go with black though and use the image as is though. Would you be able to email them to the address in my signature? Also, let me know if you want anything for your trouble?

Cheers

Dunc[/quote]

I've got signatures turned off, as some people frankly take the P with them & it's stuff I don't need to download, so I've uploaded it to my Dropbox account here:—

[url="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8453031/Mats%20Logos/Westone%20Eagle%209-up.pdf"]https://dl.dropboxus...agle%209-up.pdf[/url]

That way anyone looking in the future can get to it too. I did these as a bit of a challenge, along with a shedload of Aria ones that cover the SB, Cardinal & some of the later RSB models; as far as I'm concerned, the fun is in the production & it'd be remiss of me to accept any reimbursement.

On the PDF I've put 9 of the 'Eagle' Logos in black. Why 9? Well, from past experience Laser waterslide paper is very thin indeed & it's quite possible to mess it up when putting them on. They're a lot thinner than the old Airfix style decals. It also gives you the option of experimenting with foil lamination if you wanted a Gold version. If that doesn't work out, the PDF shouldn't present any problems for people like Rothko & Frost who do metallics as a standard service.

In the past I've bought paper from [url="http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/category/Decals?gclid=CIndgoXR5MMCFQiWtAodszoAgg"]Crafty Computer Paper[/url] & had good results. [url="http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/.Laser-Transfer-Foils_FOIL-LAZ1M.htm"]This page[/url] gives the lowdown on applying a coloured or metallic foil onto a black laser print; I haven't tried this yet, so can't vouch for its effectiveness, but I will be experimenting at some point this year as my SB-1000 is in dire need of a refin.

Pete.

• 5 years later...