Why become a member? ×

Boss LS-2/Line Selector advice - Is the +20db boost transparent!?...

bakerster135

Hi Everyone!

I'm looking for advice from someone who has a bit more experience of the Boss LS-2 than me...

I've made a little board and I'm currently using the LS-2 to add a clean blend to an old LM308 RAT pedal that I have. The issue I've always had with this RAT (and any silicon diode RAT tbh) is that with relatively low gain settings (10-11) I'm only just/not quite hitting unity volume with the level on full, so it becomes a bit difficult to get the RAT to sit convincingly over the top of the clean signal/blend.

A good way around this seems to be raising the RAT's channel volume on the LS-2 to around +15db, so the RAT can be heard and I have a little more volume to play with on the RAT pedal itself...This doesn't seem to affect the tone, and obviously I would assume this is just like adding a clean boost after the distortion. I assume it is quite a clean, transparent (FET-based?) boost on the LS-2 as well?

I just wanted to ask fellow LS-2 users whether you boost any of the pedal's channels in this fashion, and whether you have noticed any negative impact on your tone or the performance of the pedal in the loop? Is there a pedal out there ([sfx] Loop Control, Wounded Paw Blender, etc) that would be more suitable and give me an even cleaner boost?

Any comments, help or advice will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Alex

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1423567276' post='2686326']
I've used it in this fashion and not noticed any "tone suck". It is buffered, and some people seem to have a problem with Boss buffers, but I doubt you'll have any problems

I have the SFX loop logic too and wouldn't say it sounds "cleaner"
[/quote]

Thanks for this, very helpful. Tbh I've always used the odd Boss pedal and never had an issue with tone suck before, probably notice it if you have 5 in a row...