Why become a member? ×

Burns basses.

lineboss58

I have seen a burns 62 vistasonic bass for sale the owner wants £1500 for it, have people lost the plot or what. Even if the guitar worked and was pristine you wouldnt get that for it, why do lots of the music population think that because something is old it must be worth a fortune? I have two of these instruments a 62 and a 63 and wouldnt expect to get anymore than £500 each for them, i just laugh when i see this kind of thing. :)

[quote name='lineboss58' post='261044' date='Aug 12 2008, 05:38 PM']I have seen a burns 62 vistasonic bass for sale the owner wants £1500 for it, have people lost the plot or what. Even if the guitar worked and was pristine you wouldnt get that for it, why do lots of the music population think that because something is old it must be worth a fortune? I have two of these instruments a 62 and a 63 and wouldnt expect to get anymore than £500 each for them, i just laugh when i see this kind of thing. :)[/quote]

Somebody was selling a 60s guitar case for £500 on eBay recently. The world's gone mad.

Before I was able to afford a secondhand Strat, I had a Burns 6-string (Artist?), and it was nothing special. I think even the cheapest Chinese copy would be better nowadays.

Is it this one?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rare-1962-Burns-Vista-sonic-bass-guitar_W0QQitemZ180274592707QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWINQ3aPOST0Q3aRECOQ3aBINQQcmdZViewItem"]Rare 62 Burns VS eBay[/url]

In which case, the colour is certainly unusual and it is possible, though I guess unlikely, a Burns fanatic might be willing to pay that much over the odds to get it. With a bass like that, you need at least two people who really, really want it to get a high price in a standard auction, so he's really just betting that won't happen and is hoping to catch the one collector with deep pockets who happens to pass through. Quite possibly he was given an optimistic valuation by the "historians" he contacted, or is confusing insurance value with sale value.

There's one in standard sunburst for sale in Colchester Music Warehouse for £999 - that was played by the owner when he was in the Bert Weeden band, though, so the sky's the limit :)

And just to make you really, really mad, the £1500 BIN is positively reasonable compared to this. You might want to guess the BIN before you look.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1960-Burns-Artist-Bass-Guitar_W0QQitemZ260267414239QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260267414239&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177"]Burns Artist 1960 Australia eBay[/url]

[quote name='lineboss58' post='261044' date='Aug 12 2008, 05:38 PM']....why do lots of the music population think that because something is old it must be worth a fortune?....[/quote]
I think you have just described the whole Antiques business to a T!
"Collectors" pay silly prices. Maybe you are under valuing your 2 basses!

[quote name='chris_b' post='261513' date='Aug 13 2008, 01:09 PM']I think you have just described the whole Antiques business to a T!
"Collectors" pay silly prices. Maybe you are under valuing your 2 basses![/quote]

The Aussie one that went for 14,000 $ probably went for so much due to the fact it was sold with the original strings :) :huh: You would expect more than 2 out of focus photos when someone is asking for so much...but oh no, 2 blurrys photos that look as if they were taken by an epilectic standing on a trampoline is what you get.

Edited by thebeat

Fortunately for world sanity and the order of the universe, the Australian one didn't sell. There's a nice (looking) Burns Artist on t'bay now for a comparitively reasonable £795. Jump on it now while they're so cheap here.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Burns-Artist-Bass-Electric-Guitar-1960-1962_W0QQitemZ300250405554QQihZ020QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]Link[/url]

Edited by spinynorman

[quote name='spinynorman' post='263072' date='Aug 15 2008, 01:58 PM']Fortunately for world sanity and the order of the universe, the Australian one didn't sell. There's a nice (looking) Burns Artist on t'bay now for a comparitively reasonable £795. Jump on it now while they're so cheap here.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Burns-Artist-Bass-Electric-Guitar-1960-1962_W0QQitemZ300250405554QQihZ020QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]Link[/url][/quote]

Dearie me .... it looks like it was made in somebody's kitchen.

• 1 month later...

Hi there everyone,

Can you imagine my suprise to see this thread about my Vista sonic :)

Admittedley i did price it high just to see the amount of watchers and interest it would generate.

I am very reluctant to sell this guitar as i have had it for around 15 year and love it for its rarity and style, i am however willing to part with it at the new ebay price which is on the newly listed auction below, i believe this to be a fair price for what you must realise could be one of a kind, be great if someone could prove me wrong on this as it amazes me that i have such a rare item :huh:

Anyway anyone wanna chat about a possible purchase then email me on [email protected].

Many thanks

Toby

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rare-Vintage-1962-Burns-Vista-sonic-bass-guitar-N-R_W0QQitemZ180290351726QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180290351726&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A3|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rare-Vintage-1962-Bu...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

[quote name='spinynorman' post='286727' date='Sep 18 2008, 05:02 PM']Welcome to Basschat and good luck with the auction. An alternative to paying eBay insertion fees to gauge interest is to put it up here in the Sale section as a feeler. Circulation may not be as wide, but it's free and comments are generally honest and helpful.[/quote]

Will do that, thanks for the welcome and nice to meet you :)

Toby