Why become a member? ×

Dead Spot

Roland Rock

I think I know the answer to this. A mate has recently bought a Squier VM bass (about five weeks ago) online from a UK retailer. He has just started trying to record with it, but has noticed that a certain note on the G string has no sustain - a dead spot if you will.

He phoned the shop, and they are sending him new strings to see if that helps. I'm doubtful.

Is this a no-brainer? Assuming the new strings don't resolve the issue, he's within his rights to send it back and get a replacement?

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1423047358' post='2679899']
Is it the usual spot around the C# or D on the G string? Unless the shop is unusually accommodating, I think he may have a hard time persuading them that it's a fault and not just normal variance in the instrument.
[/quote]

+1

Dead spots aren't uncommon, especially with Fenders on the G as mentioned above (5th up to the 7th). Stiffer necks exhibit few to no dead spots, which is why higher quality basses often have laminated necks or graphite reinforcing bars inside the neck. The only way to resolve this is audition a few instruments to see which suffers from this the least or add mass to the headstock (often with something like a Fender Fatfinger).

String changes can sort it out: my G&L SB1 suffered this - even with new strings (the ones with the single reduced core, can't remember what they are called now, seemed like a good idea at the time). Setup and new (normal) strings sorted it. Another bass I have developed the dead spot recently - slackening string, lifting out of nut and bridge then reseating cured it. If the dead spot persists other tactics may work - remove neck, shim then setup again. DIY Fatfinger is as simple as block of stainless steel stuck down on headstock reverse with copydex. If it works fix more permanently.

Thanks folks. He has just called me in a happier mood - he decided to try a fix from a link that I sent him, and it seems to have alleviated the problem a lot. He simply loosened then retightened the neck bolts (shouldn't they be called neck screws??) and a lot of sustain has come back to that area, to the extent that he's happy enough to not buy a Fatfinger or change the strings.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1423139648' post='2681227']
Thanks folks. He has just called me in a happier mood - he decided to try a fix from a link that I sent him, and it seems to have alleviated the problem a lot. He simply loosened then retightened the neck bolts (shouldn't they be called neck screws??) and a lot of sustain has come back to that area, to the extent that he's happy enough to not buy a Fatfinger or change the strings.
[/quote]

That's a trick that I've heard a lot of guitarists/guitar techs use, especially with Strats. Loosen the neck screws very slightly and then restring and tune the guitar to pitch. Only then tighten up the screws. The tension of the strings pulls the neck snugly into the pocket and provides far better mechanical contact than previously.