Why become a member? ×

Stagecraft - what do you do when you got none?

mingsta

If you're not comfortable with the material you're playing, and the phrase "paralysed with concentration" would indicate that you're not, then you're not going to feel confident enough to do anything other than just stand there & get through the gig.

The way you rehearse sounds like it could have a lot to do with it, hiring a rehearsal space so you can set up & play in a more "gig-like" way might be worth doing. You don't have to do it all the time but every now & then, especially just before a gig, might be worth your while.

At the end of the day some people are comfortable moving on stage & some aren't. As others have said there is nothing worse than seeing a band who is obviously trying too hard to look like they're having a good time when it's obvious they're uncomfortable with it.

When I used to gig some nights I'd be dancing around over the stage, other nights I'd spend 80% of the gig with my back to the audience, it depended entirely on how I felt at the time. I was confident enough with the music though to know that if I suddenly decided to start jumping around I could do so & not have to worry about my playing.

Edited by RhysP

Room to move is unheard of for us as a seven or eight piece, if we aren't in danger of falling over or stabbing a band member with a stick a horn or a head stock we are doing really well.

Get your own little boogie thing going down, mine is pants verging on ridiculous but it's better than stationary. Don't stare at the fretboard, look punters in the eye and smile with them, they absolutely love this!

Look at your bandmates, especially the lead instrument at a given moment, punters like that as a visual clue as to where that cool sound is coming from

Most of all have a great time on stage in front of them, they will join in....

A smile to a pretty face or a nod of the head to a dancer 2 or 3 times a set is sometimes all that is needed. That and making visual contact with the other players at various times during the songs and looking like you are connected to the rythym, and the feel, of what you're playing.

<><Peace

Cheers for all the replies guys. I'm going to make a concerted effort to look out at the crowd at the next gig...may even get the wifey to video and post on youtube so you can critique/see my sex face first hand! Maybe we can post my month by month progress as I make the transition from stiff plank to flea.

[quote name='mingsta' timestamp='1422122228' post='2668978']...so you can critique/see my sex face first hand!...[/quote]

I'm sure I can live a better life without detailed information of this ilk, thank you. Others views may differ (respect...), but I'll give this a miss, if it's all the same to you. :mellow:[size=4] [/size]