Why become a member? ×

Peavey Population explosion

kodiakblair

The clan here welcomed another couple kin last week.

I'd been talking to a friend about his Dyna bass and wasn't it just an active Foundation ? Turns out it's more than that.
Still got that slim neck and the 2 super ferrites but the added preamp was impressive he said.

So after the slight mishaps with the T-40 rebuild on Boxing Day and while contemplating my next move I spotted
a Dyna over in Florida at a very keen price,even by American prices.

[attachment=181267:Dyna Bass (2).jpg]

It arrived week past Tuesday and needed a set up and a wee bit work but by Wednesday all was good.
Sadly Wednesday was the Charlie Hebdo attack and a new bass no matter how nice was getting posted about.
Strung with those Rotosound Nexus I like so much it really sang and apart from the B-90 has been the easiest USA
Peavey to set up. I think the Schaller 3D bridge on it is a great design

Then there was this on Thursday.

[attachment=181268:T 45 (5).jpg]

I've always been drawn to the T-45 but this must be the most difficult purchase I've ever had. It was on ebay for $299.99 BIN
,the last I saw went for $450, with 12 watching I emailed the seller would he ship to Scotland and he said yes but never replied
when I asked how much. Up to 16 watchers by now so I email a friend in Chicago to buy it.

Word of warning here : trying to get a drunk friend to set up a PayPal account and an ebay account using FB messaging is murder
and when they forgot to write down passwords multiple homicide. Getting him to ship was another nightmare but once handed over
to the P.O. went a dream.6 days from Chicago to Scotland including the time spent with customs.

This poor thing had the worst neck bow I've seen and the truss rod had been cranked to hell. Once I could reach it to slacken it spent
the last week clamped to create a back bow,yes it was that bad, but I got there in the end.

Today I finally got to play it :)

No subdude no mention but that doesn't necessarily mean it was present in the US maybe the temperature in the cargo hold
affected it ? With it being bought on my behalf by a guy who's never even held a bass the whole venture was a gamble, one
I could easily have lost.

A Mississippi fella on the American bass site told me just the other day bowed necks were common on 80's Peaveys :o
Reckoned the set up guys never adjusted them and the cold dry winters followed by hot wet summers didn't help and it
stayed that way until the Japanese basses started being sold.

I can't verify or discount what he said but can say the only necks I've had trouble with were a Foundation,Patriot and this T-45.
These were the necks requiring clamping and all 3 came from the US.Both T-40 and the T-20 necks appear fine and the later
Peaveys like the Dyna and G bass were grand. No trouble with any of the BXP basses either.

All good things must come in threes as yesterday even when not looking for another I was offered this.

[attachment=181456:Forum.jpg]

Couldn't say no :D Though I've gotta say if the Fury ever arrives that's me done!!