Why become a member? ×

Jack of all trades amps

M@23

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1421792387' post='2665189']
ive just got a 1001rb combo in a trade. Not had enough time to explore it fully yet but its sure can do a lot. Any suggestions of things to try?
[/quote]

The key controls are the boost and the contour controls for me. The boost will give you a huge range from
sparkly clean (when off) to various levels of squashy valveness as you increase it. It's not overdrive as such but it adds a fat squashy valveness, incredibly similar to many valve amps IME. Can make the tone sound much "bigger" in the mix. Contour is the usual mid scoop control, but very well implemented and musical IMO. With most basses I tended to leave the input gain set pretty low (about 9 o clock) to allow the most musical range of the boost knob. It certainly is actually quite a complex amp structure to learn to get the best from. Happy experimenting. I played a 1001 combo a while back and remember being very impressed with the speakers and cab on it.

I own the TH500 and the Puma 900. Very different amps IMO. The Th500 is more old school and is not a plug and play amp. The EQ took a little bit of working out in order to get a tone that worked for me.
The Puma is more modern sounding and is good at offering up those glassy highs that might be favoured for modern slap tones.
Both fine amps.
However recently I pulled the trigger on a 'cheap as chips' Kustom KXB500. My intention was to have this as a back up. Well to my surprise this is my go to amp now. Straight out of the box this micro sounds fantastic IMO. Really thick tone with real weight to the notes and Plenty of power on tap.
Last weekend, after several weeks of using the Kustom KXB500 I decided to use the Puma for a gig and did not get past the soundcheck before opting for the Kustom KXB500.
IME It is the best micro I have ever used. I use mine with a Berg CN212 and sincecI got it neither the TH500 or Puma have seen the lught of day.

M@ - buy used from Basschat Marketplace, then if you don't like what you get you can move it on at little or no net cost.

This [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/252604-tecamp-puma-900/page__p__2661497__hl__puma__fromsearch__1#entry2661497"]Tecamp Puma 900[/url] is up for grabs (not affiliated to me btw!), TH500s come up regularly, and TTEs occasionally.