Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a Pre-amp

lateralus462

Right - a while ago the active preamp in my Ibanez decided to fry itself, and with funds being quite tight at the time, I replaced it with a passive jazz bass type circuit. It sounds Ok, but nowhere near as good as the active circuit used too.

Basically I want to put in a new active eq, but am unsure which one to go for - the Ibanez 3 band one that the bass came with is £70.00 or so for a replacement, which seems quite expensive for what it is ( I am pretty sure I could get something better for this sort of cash). I'm looking to spend a max of £100.00

Any suggestions?

[quote]I replaced a bartolini in a 97 Flea bass with an Aguilar OBP3 (18v 3 band)[/quote]

Yes a great pre even though I replaced it yet again with an ACG filter based pre which sounds even better (i.e. totally awsome) to me, but it's a bit more than your £100.

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='258933' date='Aug 9 2008, 05:02 PM']Yes a great pre even though I replaced it yet again with an ACG filter based pre which sounds even better (i.e. totally awsome) to me, but it's a bit more than your £100.

Peter[/quote]

I'm gob smacked....... !!

I found that the Sadowsky outboard preamp/di pedal is an excellent solution for more than one passive bass. No need to do any wiring, just plug the bass you're using at the time in & Bob's your Auntie!

I'm actually using it with my Marcus Miller Jazz as the Sadowsky sounds fuller and richer than the onboard Fender pre.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='259042' date='Aug 9 2008, 09:29 PM']I found that the Sadowsky outboard preamp/di pedal is an excellent solution for more than one passive bass. No need to do any wiring, just plug the bass you're using at the time in & Bob's your Auntie!

I'm actually using it with my Marcus Miller Jazz as the Sadowsky sounds fuller and richer than the onboard Fender pre.[/quote]

+1 for the sadowsky pre......onboard or outboard! either way i love it!!

:)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='259042' date='Aug 9 2008, 09:29 PM']I found that the Sadowsky outboard preamp/di pedal is an excellent solution for more than one passive bass. No need to do any wiring, just plug the bass you're using at the time in & Bob's your Auntie!

I'm actually using it with my Marcus Miller Jazz as the Sadowsky sounds fuller and richer than the onboard Fender pre.[/quote]

an astonishing difference can be made to a Miller bass by ripping out that $2 preamp and installing an Aguilar OBP1 !!

[quote name='Marcus' post='259066' date='Aug 9 2008, 10:37 PM']an astonishing difference can be made to a Miller bass by ripping out that $2 preamp and installing an Aguilar OBP1 !![/quote]

Yes I've heard this said before, Marcus. I'd be interested in trying the Aguilar Tone Hammer pedal at some point, but I'm not into ripping out wiring and changing preamps in basses - For instance, I'm driving a 400 mile round trip this week just so Rob Green can sort the wiring on the preamp in one of my Status basses. I don't do wiring! :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='259067' date='Aug 9 2008, 10:45 PM']Yes I've heard this said before, Marcus. I'd be interested in trying the Aguilar Tone Hammer pedal at some point, but I'm not into ripping out wiring and changing preamps in basses - For instance, I'm driving a 400 mile round trip this week just so Rob Green can sort the wiring on the preamp in one of my Status basses. I don't do wiring! :)[/quote]

It's an easy job for a tech....

about 8 solder joints should cost £20 - £25

+1 for the Sadowsky outboard. I'm using it with my Jazz bass and it's great, amazing full and rich sound. No need to do any wiring and you've got a DI box too

[quote name='PauBass' post='259741' date='Aug 11 2008, 10:09 AM']+1 for the Sadowsky outboard. I'm using it with my Jazz bass and it's great, amazing full and rich sound. No need to do any wiring and you've got a DI box too

.[/quote]

Doesn't seem to have any adjustment for the mids though, and to be honest I'd rather have something on board as it's easier to adjust while playing.

[quote name='lateralus462' post='259751' date='Aug 11 2008, 10:27 AM']Doesn't seem to have any adjustment for the mids though, and to be honest I'd rather have something on board as it's easier to adjust while playing.[/quote]

You 'twiddle' while playing? :) I always set up my preferred sound before playing & leave it that way.