Why become a member? ×

Walkabout - decent videos, soundclips ?

hamfist

I have read so much good stuff about the Mesa Walkabout. However, having never had access to one myself, it's difficult to get an idea of what it can do. All the videos etc that I've been able to access online have been appalling in sound quality. Can anyone link to anything online that shows what the Walkabout can really do. I'm especially interested in the quality of it's overdrive.

Cheers.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1419667932' post='2641663']
I have read so much good stuff about the Mesa Walkabout. However, having never had access to one myself, it's difficult to get an idea of what it can do. All the videos etc that I've been able to access online have been appalling in sound quality. Can anyone link to anything online that shows what the Walkabout can really do. I'm especially interested in the quality of it's overdrive.

Cheers.
[/quote]

Ha ha... Some of the 'appalling' ones would have been mine, so I'll bow out at this point :-D

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1419668838' post='2641673']

Ha ha... Some of the 'appalling' ones would have been mine, so I'll bow out at this point :-D
[/quote]

I suspect yours were not appalling, but just not showing what I wanted to find out from the amp. I'm looking to push any amp into some grind, mainly with a P bass.

I take most of it back. There are a fair few half decently recorded clips of the walkabout, but just none of them showing me a P bass, with roundwounds, with a pick, getting some grind, which is what I'm looking for. The best one I could find showing the OD is a couple of Japanese chaps having a good chat whilst playing around a bit on the Walkabout, but again it's not a P and not with a pick. fussy bugger ain't I.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1419800713' post='2642841']
What kind of grind are you after? Post up a clip or two and if I have time I'll try and put something together...
[/quote]

Something like this maybe ....

https://soundcloud.com/alanbridges/wounded-paw-black-sheep

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1419840156' post='2643027']
Something like this maybe ....

[url="https://soundcloud.com/alanbridges/wounded-paw-black-sheep"]https://soundcloud.c...paw-black-sheep[/url]
[/quote]

OK - I'll try and have a look today.

Here's me & my Walkabout playing that tune, albeit not so grindy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th8rvu2X3S0

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1419842155' post='2643038']

OK - I'll try and have a look today.

Here's me & my Walkabout playing that tune, albeit not so grindy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th8rvu2X3S0
[/quote]

Nice version. The Walkabout sits in the mix very well, despite the attempts of those overenthusiastic guitars and drums.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1419849367' post='2643111']
Nice version. The Walkabout sits in the mix very well, despite the attempts of those overenthusiastic guitars and drums.
[/quote]

Cheers. To be fair, it's unbalanced - there's no backline for the guitars. They're all direct and the camera mic was directly in front of the PA. The bass is pretty much backline-only so it makes much more sense out in the room.

Here's a clip I've quickly made:

https://soundcloud.com/wateroftyne/grindy-mesa-walkabout

It's not as sparkly as the tone you posted earlier but bear in mind:[list=1]
[*]My strings are ancient
[*]My recording set-up beyond basic (DI into Adobe Audition through a cheap Pre)
[*]I don't usually play with a pick
[*]I'm not by any means a connoisseur of grind
[/list]
Hope it helps...

I bought my Mesa boogie walkabout in 2003 and I think they are a great little amp. Mine is the silver faced version and I've had problems with the output suddenly dropping really low. I took it to a repair centre and was told this is a common problem with the version I have and it relates to the jacks used in the send/return sockets. Its been fixed now and seems ok. The newer versions of the amp are ok apparently.

[quote name='bouns' timestamp='1419894179' post='2643828']
Just got mine today, I 'll try it more thoroughly tomorrow. The low end is incredible, it is really dynamic, and powerfull! [/quote]

Yep... it's amazing what a real transformer can feel like! Switching amps just can't get near it.

[quote name='bouns' timestamp='1419894179' post='2643828']
My only concern is with the fan which is a way too loud! I'll tell you if i can drive it.
[/quote]

Out of interest, how loud? I've heard this a few times about the WA but mine is no louder than my (old and huffy) laptop. It's a non-issue at gigs, and just 'background' at plunking-in-the-living-room volume.

I wonder if I just got lucky?

I can hear mine 2 rooms away (at a distance of almost 10 meters -32 feet if I'm right). Most of the heads I 've had up to this one were not noise free but their fan never bothered me (gallien 700 rbII, aguilar th500, Markbass tte). I have not rehearsed with it yet but at home the fan is simply too noisy. I think I'll get it changed for a silenx. Otherwise this head is really a great piece of gear, the sound is amazing. The gain knob at 12 the sound gets rich and thick, past 14 you begin to get an overdriven sound. But I do not really appreciate the overdriven sound of a preamp pushed at this point (whatever the amp, exept the th 500 maybe), I prefer to use a pedal effect.

After reading this thread I decided to use my Walkabout at a NYE gig last night. It's been a few months since it was gigged. (For pub gigs I've been using the AER amp two combo lately and enjoying the super-clean sound)

Last night the Walkabout sounded lovely through the BF Compact. As WOT says, and I agree, having a decent power supply from a transformer seems to add weight to the notes.

Gain at 11.00 oclock, 30Hz cut and the rest at 12.00 oclock. Lovely sound. :)

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1420140497' post='2646080']Last night the Walkabout sounded lovely through the BF Compact. As WOT says, and I agree, having a decent power supply from a transformer seems to add weight to the notes.[/quote]

Yup... Once you notice it, it's hard to go back.

I don't suppose its much help in terms of access to a single bass track, but I have recorded a stoner/doom EP and my set up was pretty much a Fender Precision played through a Walkabout at extreme volume. Quite a lot of overdrive was achieved. Very rough recording (just a kick drum microphone on the bass cab, no DI) but hopefully if nothing else it shows that the Walkabout can do dirt.

https://khydra.bandcamp.com/album/skycrasher

Careful with that Silenx, Eugene!
I noticed that the cfm figure varied from specs to packaging, not in a good way.
My fan noise was significant enough to have to change it,
couldn't use it for my EUB in the studio.
Haven't yet used the amp at significant volumes, well not with both 12" and 15"!
i find enough 'grind' between 10 and 12 o'clock on the gain for me to be able to control it from fingers.
But, the real 'grind' I think needs more top end on the eq.