Why become a member? ×

Using ebow on bass.

badboy1984

It's like everything to do with playing, practice. Keep trying and you'll get there. I find it works best for me if I hold the very edge of the ebow against my fingers and set it on the neighbouring string. Then rotate it in to the string you want to trigger. Do it gently until you get that tone. This what takes practice.

I think using really light strings should help. The problem with using regular strings is that they are so much bigger than guitar strings so it takes quite a bit more to get them moving. I hear about people manually starting the vibrations with some kind of hammer on technique.

I know Michael Manring actually uses piccolo strings at something like 20 - 52.

I use one a lot, listen to my bandcamp and soundcloud pages. It'll work on any string, not just the high ones, and any gauge, I use 125 to 30 flat wounds.

It's all down to practice.

Make sure the eBow isn't touching the string at all, if you're not getting it to work it could just be that.

Just stick with it and you'll soon be making some very cool and unbass like sounds 🎅.

Also check which way you have the little switch set, with the eBow point along the fretboard, the little switch ideally should be switched upwards towards you. Switched downwards toward the door it does weirdness, I sometimes use that setting for very high pitched sounds.

:)