Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Left handed Hank

The Admiral

Not a euphemism, but an observation on the picture from the free mag I picked up in the local charity shop today.

Why is it acceptable for art directors etc. think it's ok to do this? I know they probably don't play, but there can't be many pictures of Hank which are already reversed, so hasn't someone spotted that this is wrong, or, as I suspect, is it reversed to fit the layout and they don't care? First world problem I know, but it really gets on my tits. I saw a cheap blues box set the other day, where everyone was left handed - BB King, SRV, Robert Johnson etc. This never happens with sportsmen - left handed Tiger Woods anyone?

It gets on my nerves too, but as an art director I can also understand the other side of the story. We are often supplied just one image, without much cropping space, usually slightly too small for the space we need to fill too. So fitting this around the magazine's masthead means either he's a leftie for the day, or he has his head covered by the big red logo. Given the ultimate choice I'd move the masthead over to the right, but not always possible if it has an established location.

Its the same with musical notes on a stave being upside down, back to front etc. but there's no excuse for that.

Don't get me wrong, I feel your pain, this is a man who refuses to eat from takeaway establishments with a poor font choice on their menu.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1419266069' post='2638146']
Often it's a deliberate trick - they want you to notice the cover over hundreds of others in the same newsagent, which they seem to have achieved, even just by irritating you. :)
[/quote]

I might notice, but I wouldnt buy the mag as a consequence, so their devious and cunning plan will have failed!

My mate back in the UK who's in repro used to do a lot of the big tour programmes. He printed 6,500 Steve Miller band progs with Steve Miller shown left-handed. I never let him live that one down as he was actually the lead guitarist in our band :lol: It wasn't noticed by the band's management either.

Edited by leschirons

I saw that photo' of Hank & it didn't register :)

Years ago my lad noticed a reversed image of a multiplier reel in a sea fishing magazine article, I encouraged him to write in & tell them - he did & they sent him a lovely goody bag of bits for fishing :happy:

A pet hate of mine is multi million $ car manufacturers who advertise on UK TV showing left hand drive models it really boils my p155 :angry: if they want to sell cars here they could at least show the correct hand drive versions :(