Why become a member? ×

Three Finger Technique

wishface

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1419702547' post='2642060']
True, but you can get that consistency if you practice.

[/quote]

I don't think you do...
Classic example would be Starlight-Muse... VERY exposed bassline that really needs to be right on it...
you haven't got a track otherwise.
I am not sure double strokes on a pick would do it so well ...but the tempo is slow enough that you could do singles,
and so that could also apply with a single finger. The distortion on the track might disguise the lack of consistant attack
on some of the strokes and a good pick player could do it with up and down strokes probably... but finger players
can be notoriously weak in that regard... let alone 3 fingers.
I make a point of being very clean and consistant with 2 fingers ( no distortion ) and a track like Starlight when it is just bass and drums would get a lot of scrutiny.
It would be the first thing I'd notice...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1419774480' post='2642588']
I am not sure double strokes on a pick would do it so well ...but the tempo is slow enough that you could do singles, and so that could also apply with a single finger.
[/quote]

That's fine - it's about using appropriate technique and if it just needs one finger then that's what I'll use.

I don't put up scaffolding and use a safety harness to change a lightbulb. :)

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1419765763' post='2642481']
Its not mechanics of the fingers, it is what you are used to. It is no harder from two than three, if you are used to it.
All I was trying to say before is that only you can say if it will be that useful to you
[/quote]I'm not talking about difficulty, but of the mechanics of the fingers. The first two are just more strong and more independent. Obviously if you're used to 3 fingers then you've been using them enough to compensate/build up strength.

Hi Wishface,
I would definitely incorporate the 3[sup]rd [/sup]finger into your rh technique.
This is a big deal, considering use of [i]a [/i]is a 33% addition to the rh arsenal, if you like.
(I’m assuming no pinky.)

My model for rh bass technique was always classical guitar ― thumb, 3 fingers. The absence of tension and a balanced, loose right hand seemed paramount; no picks, no anchored pinky resting (?) on the bass. Not if I wanted to keep gigging into geezerhood.

For straight–ahead thumping, two fingers are adequate; but what if you’re playing modern chamber music, and the score calls for 3 different notes, 3 different attacks/volumes?

Or if it calls for fast triplets (1 note, 1 string)?
Or a fast 4–note tremolo pattern, where you have to accent the first note of the 4?

What about triplets up or down 3 strings, or arpeggios?

You might try another thing I do ― strike the strings with alternate [i]i [/i]and then [i]m/a [/i]together. The two together will balance the stronger [i]i[/i] finger. It could serve as an interim technique, until the [i]a[/i] finger could work independently. You might be able to gig this way, if gigs present a problem to the changeover.

Lastly, use it to damp strings – especially the 1[sup]st[/sup] à la Gary Willis.

That’s all!