Why become a member? ×

Tension on strings

tom1946

Hiya,
can someone explain about tension on strings please? I play mostly Precisions and I'm finding that the E string sounds a bit numb until I get up past the 7th fret, is this because the tension is too low? How do I know which strings are high and low?

I currently use Ernie Ball slinkys 45-105 in the orange packet.

I've never thought about string tension before and how it affects the sound.

thanks.

@tom1946 - string tension (as well as string construction) influences compliance and thus affects playability and feel but I think string type/construction has more of a bearing on the sound than tension. What you describe as 'numb' for the E for those frets nearer the nut sounds a little more like string choking to me - it could be the neck needs a tad more relief or the action needs raising a little.

@Howie, it is worse at the nut end but it's not choking, it rings out clearly and sustains well but it just sounds err thin when fretted. Open it has a funny phasing type sound, difficult to explain, I always adjust out any rattling as it grates on me.

Are some strings better than others for tension? In my head I think a tighter string would resonate better than a 'floppy' one? I can't afford to buy lots and test them out...

My head is 68 years old so it makes errors sometimes, my brain thinks I'm 24 which can be a problem.

I think that you tend to hear more of the fundamental when you fret a string higher up the neck at the dusty end and I suppose that's because there's less compliance with the shorter string - certainly the area of compliance/vibration mode must be involved in the difference between a round wound and flat wound string (where as I see it the flat ribbon windings mean the string doesn't vibrate so easily with regard to the harmonic partials) so flats do tend to offer more of the fundamental. I don't really know why you're hearing the odd characteristics, but I wonder if the 'phasing' type sound could be that effect I've heard described when a string is too close to the pickup poles and the magnetic field is affecting string vibration? However if the pickup were too high you'd expect it to affect the string even more so as you fret higher up the neck (and the string to pickup gap reducing the higher you fret). For me the only times a string has seemed a bit dead when played is that critical area that seems to exist between audible fret buzz and the note being choked enough to sap the string of some energy (lacking the harmonics so you're hearing mostly the fundamental) and I've found that something like a quarter to a half turn on the saddle height adjustment screws has been enough to get the notes cleanly ringing out. Hopefully a couple more BCers will chime in with their ideas!

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1419057146' post='2636083']
@Howie, it is worse at the nut end but it's not choking, it rings out clearly and sustains well but it just sounds err thin when fretted. Open it has a funny phasing type sound, difficult to explain, I always adjust out any rattling as it grates on me.

Are some strings better than others for tension? In my head I think a tighter string would resonate better than a 'floppy' one? I can't afford to buy lots and test them out...

My head is 68 years old so it makes errors sometimes, my brain thinks I'm 24 which can be a problem.
[/quote]

I've had this open string phasing thing, but it has usually been remedied by changing the strings - i put it down to a bad set.

I do wonder if the nut may be pinching the string a little though, just enough to give it an extra little twang at its furthers excursion?

Maybe check the nut is big enough for the strings

• 1 month later...

I was looking up string tension on the forum - I want to have a more relaxed play on my Jazz bass, and came across these on this thread

[url="http://liutaiomottola.com/formulae/tension.htm"]http://liutaiomottol...lae/tension.htm[/url]

[url="http://liutaiomottola.com/myth/perception.htm"]http://liutaiomottol.../perception.htm[/url]
Very interesting links that you have posted there, Essential Tension.

I want to get some strings with lower tension - but also now I see that the question of "compliant" strings comes into it as regards my/the players perception of how "easy" it is to play.

So thinner strings = lower tension, but for compliance that is presumably down to the manufacturer & his materials/construction?

I read (I think) that DR Sunbeamstrings are low tension, also Thomastic Infeld - is this so in anybody's experience - any particular model/type number please?

Any advice gratefully received.

B)

All other things being equal, thinner strings will have less tension. Of course, all other things are not equal if you change manufacturer or model and the construction is different.

I have never used DR strings so I can't comment on them.

Thomastik Jazz Flats and Jazz Rounds are low tension and high compliance. Flats are JF344 for long scale. Rounds are JR344.

As always with this kind of thing you have to try to find out what you like. It's not a cheap business.