Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Fender Precision Special 'Cowpoke'
£385

TimAl

[quote name='TimAl' timestamp='1418833801' post='2633869']
Thanks Noirbass - consider it done. I've been well & truly done . . . Ho Ho Ho!
[/quote]

On a serious note, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate a thread from you on how to photograph your bass.

You pics are very good, whenever I take pics of my basses they are close to useless.

[quote name='NoirBass' timestamp='1418842005' post='2634006']
On a serious note, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate a thread from you on how to photograph your bass.

You pics are very good, whenever I take pics of my basses they are close to useless.
[/quote]

I agree, except for the bit about NoirBass's pics being useless.

All PMs replied too. There's now a reserve list & I'll be in touch when I have news.

A How to Photograph Your Bass thread idea: well, I'd be delighted to HOWEVER I am a designer & photographer by trade, so therefore have kit that you guys *may* not have; for example, I use four studio lights when photographing a bass to give even lighting across the face plus to add a bit of highlight to the edges, which is pretty tricky to replicate using a camera phone with a bass on the dining room table, plus I shoot on a relatively high-end camera which captures exceptional detail & tones - certainly better tones than I can play!

Mind you, if you've seen my outside shots then there's no artificial lighting used there. I use a long lens, to blur the background - if you have a zoom lens always shoot at the long end, because it gives a more flattering perspective & blurs the background, making your bass really stand out; I shoot in the shade, to avoid high contrast that you'd get from direct sunlight - not that we see much of that. Actually, sunlight's a big no-no - imagine taking a picture of a lady wearing a wide-brimmed hat on a sunny day - she'd look like Zorro in the pic, so an overcast day is better for a 'product' shot as it's not 'harsh' (contrasty).

If you've absolutely nothing to aid with photographing your bass then I'd suggest either using the (overcast) sunlight coming in through a window or patio door & either placing your basson a stand or lying it on a table - plainest background you can find (bare wall perhaps) OR brave the elements & venture outside, place on a stand or garden table & have a play - again, a plain background works best as you want to illustrate the bass, not your lovely new water feature - plus as a rule of thumb wherever you expect to take a picture from take three steps back & zoom in - it'll give a more flattering result - & of course the beauty of digital is that you can immediately see what you've captured.

Finally, whilst I'm on this podium - actually LOOK through the viewfinder (or at the screen), because whatever you are seeing with your eyes does not necessarily mean it will be recorded on film (or memory card) the same way - so look at what you're seeing through the viewfinder/on the screen. For me, the biggest piece of inspiration I ever received was being told to imagine what you see through your viewfinder (these days it would be what you see on your screen) as a framed photograph hanging on the wall. Could you improve it? Standing in a different place? Different angle? Simply, would you like the picture hanging on the wall? Yes? Hit the button; No? Why not?

At the risk of shattering the illusion of being a consummate professional in a 3,000,000sqm New York-style loft, here's a quick phone pic of how I shoot inside:

Just spotted my brolly is in need of medical attention - plus if you're wondering what I use to keep the bass upright, well, it's a hi-tech piece of kit called a cordless drill . . .

Hey Tim, please let me know if by some miracle none of the others buy this bass and I'll definitely take it. I've been using one as my main bass, all over the world, lots of recordings, TV, etc., since 1996 when I got it from Fender. It's black on black and looks great.
I have upgraded it over the years with a Badass II bridge, Nordstrand pickups and a German made Noll preamp (which does passive as well!), but it has always sounded fantastic and played so well. Fantastic bass. Shame there wasn't an American version :-/

Anyway, as a sister to my black one this would be perfect so please count me in :)

Cheers, Stuee

Will do Stuee - although there's now quite a list . . .

I forgot THE MOST IMPORTANT THING when photographing: make sure the bass is cleaner than a clean thing, as every single spec of dust appears on the image as a mahoosive white blob! Seriously, 5 minutes with a cloth & a lot of huffing & puffing makes the world of difference.

Happy Friday all
T

SOLD. Definitely. Well, I say definitely - the chap has paid but isn't collecting till the new year. Naturally I'm putting it under the bed to keep it out of temptation's way . . .

Merry Everything everyone
Tim