Why become a member? ×

Holograms and their use live

JamesBass

So over the last few years, there has been a few high profile live performances that have included Holograms of deceased musicians. Most notably Tupac at Coachella 2012 and Michael Jackson at the Billboard Music Awards 2014. This is a topic that I am looking at for my dissertation, I'm a music student studying performance. When I've read about, and watched video footage of the said gigs, I've always felt VERY uneasy, and reading that some promoters/production companies have plans to expand the use of this technology, it got me wondering what sort of gain there is from this, and what effect it will have on live music and live musicians in particular. Primarily I'm asking members of BC the following questions:

Have you ever seen a Hologram used at a gig?
Do you ever want to see a Hologram used?
How did/does the idea of seeing a deceased musician performing "live" make you feel?
How much would/have you paid to see such a gig?
Ethically is it right to "resurrect" someone?
Have you ever done a gig with a hologram?

Any and all input is appreciated!

I've not seen the hologram thing.

I do feel a bit uneasy about tracks released after people's death of unheard/unreleased material. The latest Queen song and the Micheal Jackson song. They personally don't have any input to the final production and why didn't they release it in the first place? Was it not good enough or did they just run out of time?

I think there is some Jimi Hendrix material recently found as well.

So hologram wise it would depend on whether the artists would have been happy to use their recordings in this way.

Wasn't there a Les Dawson show on recently.

I don't think it should be billed as live and specifically a tour it shouldn't be exclusive like it would be if there was only one artist and command high prices as a result. The performance isn't going to be live and individual on each performance. Similar to a lot of artists who mime. I wouldn't go to watch an artist who mimes and wouldn't be happy if they did at a gig that was promoted as live.

Anyway - some steam of conscience thoughts from me. Hope they're useful. :D

Edited by TimR

Never seen a hologram at a gig, but I did once go to a very weird Elvis concert/tribute which featured the original band (James Burton etc) plus Elvis on a massive video screen plus his original vocals.

Hey, I had a free ticket :unsure:

Kinda a technological precursor to the hologram idea, so maybe relevant to research...

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1416840976' post='2614124']
I've not seen the hologram thing.

I do feel a bit uneasy about tracks released after people's death of unheard/unreleased material. The latest Queen song and the Micheal Jackson song. They personally don't have any input to the final production and why didn't they release it in the first place? Was it not good enough or did they just run out of time?

I think there is some Jimi Hendrix material recently found as well.

So hologram wise it would depend on whether the artists would have been happy to use their recordings in this way.

Wasn't there a Les Dawson show on recently.

I don't think it should be billed as live and specifically a tour it shouldn't be exclusive like it would be if there was only one artist and command high prices as a result. The performance isn't going to be live and individual on each performance. Similar to a lot of artists who mime. I wouldn't go to watch an artist who mimes and wouldn't be happy if they did at a gig that was promoted as live.

Anyway - some steam of conscience thoughts from me. Hope they're useful. :D

[/quote]
Indeed useful! When I watched the Jackson performance from the billboard's I felt a horrible chill run down my spine, none more so than when the crowd rose in applause at the end of the performance?! It most certainly felt wrong to me, even if I was watching what is essentially a video of a video?! Video-ception? ;)

On the note of improvisation this is my biggest bug bare with the whole hologram thing. Let's take Hendrix for instance; his performances were wildly different and the audience never knew what they were going to see, and that gave him that huge reputation! His improv and unpredictability is what made him legendary, and even now when you go watch bands perform live, as an audience member you do want to see some cool, almost one off bits, as that's what makes a gig/tour the stuff of legend and envy. Seeing a dead musician perform a track exactly as it's recorded and paying modern large venue prices just seems like a money making drive that only see's a few people win, while many lose out.
[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1416841638' post='2614135']
Never seen a hologram at a gig, but I did once go to a very weird Elvis concert/tribute which featured the original band (James Burton etc) plus Elvis on a massive video screen plus his original vocals.

Hey, I had a free ticket :unsure:

Kinda a technological precursor to the hologram idea, so maybe relevant to research...
[/quote]
Exactly that, it was a precursor to the new hologram's it was something they used at the London Olympics with John Lennon and Freddie Mercury/Queen. I've always viewed such a thing as a "Vegas Gimick" personally.

Not a hologram exactly, but on Strictly Come Dancing's results show last night (the missus was watching and I just happened to be in the room ok *ahem*), Barry Manilow did a "duet" with Louis Armstrong on "What A Wonderful World". Which was creepy enough ... and it brought back to mind Pat Metheny's thoughts on Kenny G doing the same, see http://www.jazzoasis.com/methenyonkennyg.htm (which can be tempered slightly with PM's own follow-up at http://www.jazzguitar.com/features/kennyg2.html)

I saw a Natalie Cole gig years ago where at one point a big screen came down and she did a duet with her dad. It actually worked on the night and didn't seem weird at all but Iguess there was more of a connection between the peformers in that particular instance. Never seen a full on hologram show. If they become a feasible technical/economic avenue then one or two members of trib bands might be getting a bit twitchy. Imagine turning up to your Doors trib rehearsal to find out that you've been replaced by 'holojim'. ;)

Edited by KevB

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1416848354' post='2614247']
This will come across as total pedantry on my behalf but I really wish they'd stop calling this type of image a hologram because it isn't one; it's a modern version of the Pepper's Ghost illusion.

*physicist type rant over* :huh:
[/quote]
I wholeheartedly understand your physicists rant, it's what I used to study before swapping full-time to music! But you'll never get someone from these tech companies admitting it's not a hologram in the current guise as it's a cash making cow potentially!

Seems to me that if people pay to see it, then it's fair game. Novel ways of parting people from their cash are coming along with ever greater frequency.

Do people who object to this type of "performance" also object to videos of bands with deceased members being shown on television? Or the publication of "lost but now found" work by a famed - but dead - poet? It's only a matter of degree. Should Iain Banks' last novel have not been published because he died before it came out?

Certainly it would freak me seeing e.g. Rainbow with Hologram Dio and Hologram Cozy Powell playing "live". But then I wouldn't go, for I have better things on which to spend my hard-earned. Like more Thunderbirds.

I saw the les dawson one on the TV and remember seeing his family were quite moved by it. As a stand alone comedian with no real lighting needed or movement though I can imagine it being quite effective. As a singer or musician moving around stage though it would probably look less effective and I think may be disrespectful to the performers original shows.