Why become a member? ×

Just upset a charity organiser...OPPS

spacey

I am playing a charity event next weekend and not only will I be playing for free, I will be making a modest donation as well. I will not be the only one doing this. I know the people organising the event (in honour of a very good friend of a lot of us) and I know that they won’t be making a penny out of it. Also, I understand that the venue are letting them have the room for free (although I imagine the bar staff will get paid)!

I am getting to an age where a few friends are starting to leave us all a bit earlier than expected. I have been surprised to learn at a couple of funerals in the past few years that the guest of honour had been very quietly (yet significantly) involved in various charities / fundraising and giving their time to help the less fortunate. This made me think that perhaps I really do not do enough myself – playing the occasional gig for free is the very least that I can do…

If you don’t trust the organiser of a charity event then don’t play at it. If it is legit, then don’t make a fuss and just help out where you can…

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1416870885' post='2614663']
The thing is, charity is a very individual thing.

While some of us might be very happy playing at a benefit gig for a new roof for the mosque or a fundraiser for cats suffering from Feline AIDS, others may not.
[/quote]
Fair enough - I am assuming that you are happy that the cause is worthwhile as well the event is legit and not just an excuse for someone to make money for themselves. The point is that doing the odd freebie is not going to hurt the majority of people here...

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1416871348' post='2614671']

Fair enough - I am assuming that you are happy that the cause is worthwhile as well the event is legit and not just an excuse for someone to make money for themselves. The point is that doing the odd freebie is not going to hurt the majority of people here...
[/quote]

No. You're right, however I played in a 7 piece band a few years back. You do a free gig for one member's chosen charity and you start to be obligated to play for other's. Then you've set a precedent and start playing for family member parties etc. It all gets a bit messy in my experience.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1416869710' post='2614640']
I am playing a charity event next weekend and not only will I be playing for free, I will be making a modest donation as well. I will not be the only one doing this. I know the people organising the event (in honour of a very good friend of a lot of us) and I know that they won’t be making a penny out of it. Also, I understand that the venue are letting them have the room for free (although I imagine the bar staff will get paid)!

I am getting to an age where a few friends are starting to leave us all a bit earlier than expected. I have been surprised to learn at a couple of funerals in the past few years that the guest of honour had been very quietly (yet significantly) involved in various charities / fundraising and giving their time to help the less fortunate. This made me think that perhaps I really do not do enough myself – playing the occasional gig for free is the very least that I can do…

If you don’t trust the organiser of a charity event then don’t play at it. If it is legit, then don’t make a fuss and just help out where you can…
[/quote]

+1

Thats is exactly what I was trying to establish, is it "worthy"
If its £15 a pop at a 800 capacity venue, how much did they donate last year from the 800X£15
What costs were taken out as they would be and what pot went to the charity from that event.
I thought this was a perfectly sensible question to have some basic accounts, even on the back of an envelope.

However this simple request has really fluffed his feathers and I mean really fluffed them.

[quote name='BigAlonBass' timestamp='1416867986' post='2614615']
Screw that! Get on to the Charities Commission, and DEMAND answers!
"You're calling me a thief" followed up by "We really can't tell you how much he donates" leaves a HELL of a lot of scope for money to slip into back pockets. :angry: You've played this Gig before, so you have a vested interest in knowing if you or the Charity have been ripped off, especially if it's happened more than once. :rolleyes: It's typical "bureaucrat speak", practically the same as when Politicians "can't comment on individual cases" when EVERY case is individual.

(edit for typo)
[/quote]
Not really. If someone chooses to donate to charity that's their business. Others may not necessarily agree with the aims or methods of a particular charity and do not always look kindly on those who support them, which in turn could have financial implications for companies or directors of companies that donate. Or they might simply just choose not to publicise that they do a lot for charidee. Ultimately publicising donors could affect the income for that charity.

Asking the promoter for the accounts of previous events is a different matter, and I wouldn't feel comfortable playing a charity gig where the promoter was unwilling to provide them

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1416872537' post='2614684']
You do a free gig for one member's chosen charity and you start to be obligated to play for other's. Then you've set a precedent and start playing for family member parties etc. It all gets a bit messy in my experience.
[/quote]

+1
We used to do a few charity gigs and found we were getting a reputation for doing them and got asked more and more frequently. In the end we had to draw a line and do very few now.

As regards the OP you have every right to know where the money is going. Not all charity gig organisers are equally generous when it comes to handing over the proceeds. The 'straight up' ones would not complain about letting you know