Why become a member? ×

LANDR: Anyone using it?

Sean

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1417472371' post='2620839']
Ironically, I have seen stereo widening discussed in that way in a magazine... I thought you may have read it... And not burnt it! :)
[/quote]

Lol....More than likely.

Nice looking website (Submix), very easy to navigate around and plenty to keep one interested.
Well presented...Good luck with it all.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1417501938' post='2620969']

Lol....More than likely.

Nice looking website (Submix), very easy to navigate around and plenty to keep one interested.
Well presented...Good luck with it all.
[/quote]

Thanks bud, appreciate it. Not quite got the reach of LANDR unfortunately! :)

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1417466954' post='2620712']Brilliant advice, I'll give it a go if I ever get round to starting a new track. One question... what is said stereo widening device? :)[/quote]

I use something called an [url="https://www.propellerheads.se/products/reason/effects/mclass/"]MClass Stereo Imager[/url], which is one of the plug-ins that comes bundled with Reason. But I'm sure there must be equivalent VSTs available.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1417468787' post='2620744']
A Stereo widening device is a waste of money and a gimmick.
You can do it yourself.
Just move your monitor speakers an extra foot apart, job done.
[/quote]

:lol: I like it.

I master most of my own mixers I do but I reluctantly call it mastering. If I mix a track that needs to compete with professionally recorded and mastered music I recommend they send it to the professionals or at least someone with the listening environment to do it.
Most people think that mastering is just trying to make the final stereo mix sound better but it’s a lot more then that.
[b]It is the final quality control check [/b]- most bedroom studios are far from perfect listening environments but you can learn to compensate when mixing by knowing how other well mixed/mastered music sounds on you system. You can get too involved in a mix and fail to be objective. Mastering is not about getting the mix to sound better on your speakers its about getting the music to sound has good on has many speaker systems has possible.
[b]Improving dynamics and tonality. [/b]
[b]Getting multiple tracks to sound cohesive[/b] – making sure the entire track on an album or EP work well together so you don’t have to mess with the volume or tone controls when listening to a collection of music
[b]Add ISRC codes and text information.[/b]

Some good advice from Scol303 because I find I do a lot of similar things when mastering tracks but only if the track needs it; I make judgments based on the track. It is easy to hear the good when boosting an EQ, compressing or using things like stereo wideners but when you listen carefully it might be doing damage to elements in the mix.
I mix into an SSl type bus comp so I only need make around 2- 3Db reduction when mastering. I also use a soft clipper to take out any excessive peaks but I don’t like excessive limiting of a lot of modern music.
When mastering at home, unless you have a really good listening environment don’t do any thing excusive or you could make things worse, I use a quality track for reference