Why become a member? ×

How to make your own effects??

Wooks

How do you start to make your own effects pedals, are there any good websites that can teach you? I wouldn't mind having a bash at making a loop pedal like an Akai Headrush, Boss DD20 etc. Any ideas where I can find any info, diagrams equpment needed etc, etc?? Roughly how much would something like cost to make? Thanks for any help :)

[quote name='cheddatom' post='255352' date='Aug 5 2008, 01:26 PM']I think a high quality digital delay/sampler would be cheaper to buy ready made.[/quote]
That's what I was thinking too mate!!

Edited by Wooks

[quote name='Wooks' post='255359' date='Aug 5 2008, 01:29 PM']That's what I was thinking too mate!![/quote]

If it's something that you want to do though.....

If you go onto the Zvex site, there is a simple cheap "lo fi" sampler type pedal. I reckon he's done it with those chips you get really cheap that will record an play back a few seconds of audio. You could just try that for now - if you have some electronics experience? (I assumed you did from your post).

[quote name='cheddatom' post='255376' date='Aug 5 2008, 01:44 PM']If it's something that you want to do though.....

If you go onto the Zvex site, there is a simple cheap "lo fi" sampler type pedal. I reckon he's done it with those chips you get really cheap that will record an play back a few seconds of audio. You could just try that for now - if you have some electronics experience? (I assumed you did from your post).[/quote]
Spot on no experience whatsoever :) I think I might have bitten off my than I can chew with this thought!! :huh: :huh:

[quote name='Toasted' post='255384' date='Aug 5 2008, 01:54 PM']He uses answerphone chips in the lo-fi-loop-junky :)[/quote]

Cool - you can get them from maplins I think, I was considering doing it for a while but...... I'm lazy. It can't be that difficult, a footswitch to record, a timer circuit (555 chip?) for repeats, and a stop footswitch!

[quote name='Wooks' post='255388' date='Aug 5 2008, 01:55 PM']Spot on no experience whatsoever :) I think I might have bitten off my than I can chew with this thought!! :huh: :huh:[/quote]

Wow there!! The chips we are talking about wont work after you've been chewing on them!

[quote name='Toasted' post='255373' date='Aug 5 2008, 01:41 PM']BYOC is a good place to start.[/quote]

+1 I've just got the phaser to add to my guitar pedalboard. Really clear instruction and it will give you a good grounding of how these things go together.

I just built a Muff from www.generalguitargadgets.com

Bit cheaper then BYOC, and works great. I had/have no experince of making pedals either, but I just took ym time and worked first time! Guess I was lucky, but it's good fun messing around and having something cool sounding at the end.

Good luck in your quest young padawan. I got most of my equipment off ebay for like £2-3 i .e pliers, solder sucker etc