Why become a member? ×

Split P type pickup / pickguard question.

Painy

Sorry if this is a bit of a long one but bar with me.
As I've posted on here recently, I currently find myself gassing for a P bass for the first time in my life. One worry I have had though is that, having played 5 & 6 strings exclusively for the last 17 years I do feel a bit lost on a 4 string. I have however now found a 5 string P which I really like (not a Fender) but with one little problem - the pickguard actually makes me want to vomit!
The obvious solution is to just change the pickguard but all the ones I've seen are to suit a Fender (neck side of the pickup covering B, E & A strings / bridge side covering D & G) but this bass is the other way around (B & E on the neck side and A, D & G on the bridge side).
So, finally getting to the point, could I get a standard pickguard and just turn the pickup around without messing the sound up or do I need to look at ordering a custom pickguard?
Also, what am I likely to pay for a custom made white pearloid P pickguard if I do have to order one?

If the PG is symmetrical top to bottom (like a MM PG) there's a remote chance it might work, but there's a high chance it won't. Also the PG probably has a bevelled/chamfered edge to stop it being catchy on the upper side; this would be on the wrong side if you turn it over.

I recon you should budget on having to get a new PG made. Also, the routing of the body will be wrong. Do you want to remove that much wood?

There's a good few makers about if you Google for them.

Only got a stock pic I'm afraid. I was looking for a cheap bass that I could modify and was looking at the squire affinity basses originally but found this Harley Benton. The fact it's a P/J gives a bit more versatility and it's cheap as chips (I'm on a pretty tight budget) plus people on here seem to think they punch above their weight. The other thing I'd probably change would be to reshape the headstock to a little more like a Fender shape just because I prefer it (not to try and fool anyone, lol).

Anyway, this is the pickguard it comes with which unfortunately reminds me out either raw meat or, worse, the cover from Metallica's load album!

Edited by Painy

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1415637282' post='2602243']
Even if you were to turn round the pickup you would probably find a stock scratchplate still didn't fit properly. Even from one Fender to another the screw holes don't always line up exactly.

I'd say the best bet is a custom made scratchplate using the old scratchplate as a template.
[/quote]

That's a good point. Looks like a custom plate then. Mind you, at £98 for the Bass (+ postage from Thomann), even my modest budget should have a little room to play with :)

Edited by Painy

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1415648837' post='2602414']
Or you could cover your pickguard in vinyl or spray it with Hycote for about a fiver :)
[/quote]

Funny you should say that, just been looking at vinyl on eBay. Can't get white pearloid vinyl unfortunately but I reckon plain gloss black would look pretty cool.

Chap on eBay selling sheets of pick guard material..various colours ...I got a usa sub 5 string with horrible pick guard I'm going to buy a sheet use my Old as a template and make my own ...might be worth a look,
If mine goes well I'll even do it for you ...

Edited by patrikmarky