Why become a member? ×

DROP C Tuning

Weststarx

Hi Guys,

I'm sure I read somewhere on this forum a while ago that mentioned a website which showed you what string gauge to buy for different tunings, but I cant find it!

Any ideas?

Also would I need to worry about neck tension? and what do you do with a neck-through bass?

Thanks!

You might mean the Circle K website, although their gauge charts are specifically for their own strings. For drop C on a four string I used to use the heaviest four strings from a Power Slinky five string set. That gave me good tension and a great tone, but it required a full setup to ensure the neck was correct.

I'm using D'addario EXL160BT set (50-120) on a Squier Troy Sanders sig for drop C

[url="http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3769&productid=380&productname=EXL160BT_Nickel_Wound__Balanced_Tension_Medium__50_120"]http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3769&productid=380&productname=EXL160BT_Nickel_Wound__Balanced_Tension_Medium__50_120[/url]

You do need a setup when changing from standard, but I've not had any issues

Just coming back to this, if I brought a higher guage string would I really need to start messing with the truss rod? Surely there wouldnt be any difference in tension on the neck if the strings are left in a dropped tuning?

I was looking at 110s to start off with to see how I get on.

Im just using standard 100's at the moment, tuning wise i would be tuning to C G C F

Just thinking whether i would need to take it too someone to set up if its a necessity to fiddle with the truss rod because those two words scare me...

Looking to do a metal project with my friend and I've played in drop C on a guitar fine using 11s but with bass the strings are massive so I'm just making sure i dont mess it up!

I had to change the setup on my Stingray to account for greater tension, but I was using the heaviest strings from a five string set on a four string and tuning them up from BEAD with a subsequent increase in tension. If you're using a four string set and detuning them, then you're probably OK. I currently tune to drop Bb, and on one of my basses I just use the standard set of strings that was already on there (on my other bass in drop tuning I use a Circle K set).

I tuned C, F, Bb, Eb for years.....forget gauge, it's all about core size. I used Newtone 45-105 and got an action and tension similar to that of a standard tunes bass. Why? Because it was a larger core.
Granted you can't then tune up to standard, but I was touring in that tuning, so wasn't necessary.

Si