Why become a member? ×

Status Smartbass

clauster

[quote name='clauster' post='254409' date='Aug 4 2008, 02:07 PM']Cheers Mert!

I think I have GAS for a single P, passive, headless, with black hardware and walnut body Smartbass![/quote]
Go on, you know you want to! :)

Edited by Merton

Still toying with the idea of these basses, which of the 4 woods on offer has the best sound for a warm growly sound? I am not into bell like glassy sounds.

I tried calling Status Graphite and also emailed a few times in the past couple of weeks but no response as yet, they must be busy.

[quote name='Smash' post='257942' date='Aug 8 2008, 11:35 AM']Still toying with the idea of these basses, which of the 4 woods on offer has the best sound for a warm growly sound? I am not into bell like glassy sounds.[/quote]

can't offer a definitive answer but my old graphite necked Groove was very growly and had an alder body.

[quote name='Smash' post='257942' date='Aug 8 2008, 11:35 AM']Still toying with the idea of these basses, which of the 4 woods on offer has the best sound for a warm growly sound? I am not into bell like glassy sounds.

I tried calling Status Graphite and also emailed a few times in the past couple of weeks but no response as yet, they must be busy.[/quote]

They were shut for a 2 week holiday, they started back on Monday.

As for the email, you're better off calling. I know Rob's had problems getting emails out to people in recent months. They're back at the factory now, anyway. Dawn is usually in for about 10-11am.

As for the growliest wood, that's a hard one! The guide on the SmartBass pages is a good one. My newer basses are in mahogany/walnut and they are very glassy sounding. I'd go for the ash if you want growly, personally.

Here's what the site says...

[b]What is the difference between the various timbers?

ASH
Ash bodies are medium density and weight. The timber produces a clear tone with plenty of definition. When combined with the graphite neck this bass is great for percussive playing.
The wood has an open grain and a light colour with darker features.

WALNUT

Walnut is a medium / dense timber which has a rich brown colour. The grain is quite close and produces a tone which is clear and articulate. The satin lacquer produces a smooth finish.

ALDER

A light / medium weight timber which is slightly softer than the other options. Alder has a smooth grain and warmer tone with an even frequency response. Ideal for fingerstyle playing.

MAHOGANY

Mahogany is a classic timber for instrument making. It is a medium weight with a red/brown colour. It has a fairly open grain and produces a broad frequency response with plenty of character. The satin lacquer produces a fairly smooth finish with a slight grain visible.

[/b]

[quote name='Doc B' post='262067' date='Aug 13 2008, 11:39 PM']can't offer a definitive answer but my old graphite necked Groove was very growly and had an alder body.[/quote]

Ha Doc, I actually bought that bass from you, thats why I have this urge to have another Status...

On another note phoned Dawn to find out they are not making anymore Smartbasses.

[quote name='Smash' post='262281' date='Aug 14 2008, 11:39 AM']On another note phoned Dawn to find out they are not making anymore Smartbasses.[/quote]
Really? Shame coz they're a good "cheaper" intro to the world of Status!

I just want the 5 string Streamline to be ready for ordering :)

[quote name='Merton' post='262295' date='Aug 14 2008, 11:52 AM']Really? Shame coz they're a good "cheaper" intro to the world of Status![/quote]

Thats the reason I wanted to opt for one, you can still get a brand new Status under £1000

Was told if you ask now there may still be enough bits to put together one, but very soon they will be withdrawn from the website.

[quote name='Smash' post='262281' date='Aug 14 2008, 11:39 AM']On another note phoned Dawn to find out they are not making anymore Smartbasses.[/quote]
Thats a surprise cos when they launched they were taling about extending it to the retro-active but they stopped making them as well.