Why become a member? ×

Strings don't fit bass! Help?!

Bass_Guardian

Hello fellow Basschatters!

Looking for some wisdom here or the blunt truth if needed.

I took delivery of a set of Elixirs for my bass (5 string). I took off my B-string and when i went to put on the new B-String i noticed the string near the ballend of the string was alot thicker than my older string. This is the same across all the new strings.

The rest of the string fits through the bridge fine but the thicker bit at the end doesn't. I can't expand this part of my bridge and i don't have a string through body.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Alex

Had this problem with my Thumb 5 - B and E were too wide. I Squished them with a pair of pliers and it fitted fine but the next set of strings will have to be tapered windings at the ball end.

Anyone got any recommendations (ideally bright, strings suitable for roack)...?

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1415137428' post='2597190']
Had this problem with my Thumb 5 - B and E were too wide. I Squished them with a pair of pliers and it fitted fine but the next set of strings will have to be tapered windings at the ball end.

Anyone got any recommendations (ideally bright, strings suitable for roack)...?
[/quote]

I tried squishing them slightly with the pathetic pliers i found around the house but that never worked :( fancied a set of Elixirs as everyone i've asked have given them a great review for longevity which appeals to a lazy man like myself.

A bit of Googling suggests that Rotosound string will fit basses with a narrow gap as the B & E are tapered slightly at the ball end.

There are, of course, fully tapered strings where they're tapered before the bridge but I don't know if there are downsides to them?

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1415140222' post='2597237']
A bit of Googling suggests that Rotosound string will fit basses with a narrow gap as the B & E are tapered slightly at the ball end.

There are, of course, fully tapered strings where they're tapered before the bridge but I don't know if there are downsides to them?
[/quote]

Yeh i've got Rotosounds on my bass just now. They were fine but lost theyre 'spark' after about a month. Well to my ear anyway.

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' timestamp='1415137742' post='2597199']
Ooft sounds a bit drastic! Did you use a regular drill bit?
[/quote]

Yes, just went up in 0.5 mm increments until the strings fitted. Is very easy if your bridge is Fender style BBOT bridge. If it was a really valuable vintage instrument I would not do this. I would get a replacement bridge and modify the replacement this way - keep the original bridge unmolested.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1415140433' post='2597245']
Yes, just went up in 0.5 mm increments until the strings fitted. Is very easy. If it was a really valuable vintage instrument I would not do this. I would het a replacement bridge and modify the replacement this way - keep the original bridge unmolested.
[/quote]

Yeh i don't fancy drilling the bridge, knowing my DIY skills i'll end up ruining the bridge. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1415187288' post='2597538']
Since Warwick tailpieces can be a tight fit for some brands of string, I would have thought any Warwick string should fit that.
[/quote]

A good suggestion above. I have had a look on the well known internet auction site - individual bridge pieces are available, unfortunately not in the same pattern as yours. I would contact the bass manufacturer and explain the issue, see if they will give you a bridge piece which you can then have a go at drilling out. Much safer off the bass, no 'oh dear' moments. In the long term you want to be able to use strings of your choice, not be limited by bridge.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1415187718' post='2597550']
A good suggestion above. I have had a look on the well known internet auction site - individual bridge pieces are available, unfortunately not in the same pattern as yours. I would contact the bass manufacturer and explain the issue, see if they will give you a bridge piece which you can then have a go at drilling out. Much safer off the bass, no 'oh dear' moments. In the long term you want to be able to use strings of your choice, not be limited by bridge.
[/quote]

Might do :) might be less hassle just using Rotosounds or maybe try out some Warwick strings.

Thanks for the advice :)