Why become a member? ×

Experimental music promoters around the London area?

Guest Jecklin

Guest Jecklin

Apologies of this is better suited in the off topic forum, but thought I'd post in general as it is to do with performance of bass music.

I'm looking to get a list of promoters together to get a series of gigs to coincide with a little EP i'm putting out later this year.

I know a couple of folks on here occupy musical spheres similar to mine so if you have been on the bill with promoters putting on nights of electronic/ambient/soundscape material I'd be grateful if you could sling their details my way.

I'm doubtful that the more improv' led Jazz venues such as the vortex would cater for my music, but Most of the venues now on my radar are similarly placed around East London.

Thanks for any pointers.

Cheers
Thomas

Edited by Jecklin

There are a few venues -

[url="http://www.forgevenue.org"]http://www.forgevenue.org[/url]

[url="http://www.cafeoto.co.uk"]http://www.cafeoto.co.uk[/url]

There's also the Union chapel, they have nights for the more unusual types of music :) I'm maybe playing there with another bass player.

There was another that I found, the name's in my diary though that I don't have with me at the moment.

Hope this helps.

:)

Guest Jecklin

Hi Ambient and ahpook,

Thanks for the ideas.
Oto is definitely on my radar.

There is also power lunches in dalston which is worth a look.

I'll definitely keep you informed of dates.

Cheers
Thomas

[quote name='Jecklin' timestamp='1415202738' post='2597849']
Actually if anyone knows promoters of an experimental leaning throughout the UK I'd be grateful for a heads up on those too.

Cheers
Thomas
[/quote]
I really hope that you find a promoter that will put on your music.

Have you tried any promoters through links like those who advertise in magazine like The Wire. That is still the go to in the UK for experimental music as far as the print media is concerned. This forum is very MOR as far as music is concerned so maybe you need to look elsewhere.

Good luck and i hope you find someone as it's what keeps music alive.

Guest Jecklin

Hi betafunk,

I used to read the wire avidly and then went totally off it a couple of years back so completely forgot about the great listings section.
Thank you for reminding me!! Great idea.

I have a fairly niche network of contacts, mostly oriented around art galleries and the such, but thought I'd ask hear and a few other forums I use too as you never know what might be uncovered :-)

Off to get the wire tomorrow,

Cheers
Thomas

Okay, here you go. Several people have asked me about this.

There are several venues that feature free improv/experimental music. I would recommend [u]you go and see a gig first [/u]rather than send links to the promoters concerned. Talk to whoever runs them in person.

In addition to Cafe Oto and the Vortex....

[b][size=4]The Dog House in Kennington - Vimeo have several vids from this venue - so maybe start there. Very Free-improv (two venues)[/size][/b]

[b]Club Integral - several venues, so look them up - avant bands mostly and small ensembles[/b]

[b]Lewisham Arthouse - Charles Hayward, the drummer, runs this. Invite only - so go to a gig first[/b]

[b]The Hundred Years Gallery - Kingsland rd, a small basement space - small ensembles[/b]

[b]Ryans Bar in Stoke Newington - I've seen small avant bands play there in the basement[/b]

[b]The birds Nest in Deptford - loud, rough venue suitable for small bands[/b]

[b]The Montague Arms, New Cross - run by a collective - stage/PA/ bands[/b]

[b]Servant Jazz Quarters - Dalston - cosy basement venue often used by Club integral[/b]

[b]The Mopomoso club - free improv - two different venues[/b]

[b]Boat-Ting - a nice venue on a boat moored on the north bank. Monthly improv gigs[/b]

Guest Jecklin

Thanks so much Spoombung.

Great list!
A few of those were on my radar from when I was involved in improvised music, but as with the Wire magazine faded out from my thinking as my musical emphasis shifted. Brilliant to have them brought back to me.

I keep missing events at the Lewisham Art house, but will be getting down there soon.
I had no Idea the dog house did gigs. Blimey, I must walk/cycle around with my eyes closed as I pass it regularly. Mind you I keep looking at the Art gallery that is run in the subteranean public lavatories on that junction.

Cheers
Thomas

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1415359503' post='2599550']
Okay, here you go. Several people have asked me about this.

There are several venues that feature free improv/experimental music. I would recommend [u]you go and see a gig first [/u]rather than send links to the promoters concerned. Talk to whoever runs them in person.

In addition to Cafe Oto and the Vortex....

[b][size=4]The Dog House in Kennington - Vimeo have several vids from this venue - so maybe start there. Very Free-improv (two venues)[/size][/b]

[b]Club Integral - several venues, so look them up - avant bands mostly and small ensembles[/b]

[b]Lewisham Arthouse - Charles Hayward, the drummer, runs this. Invite only - so go to a gig first[/b]

[b]The Hundred Years Gallery - Kingsland rd, a small basement space - small ensembles[/b]

[b]Ryans Bar in Stoke Newington - I've seen small avant bands play there in the basement[/b]

[b]The birds Nest in Deptford - loud, rough venue suitable for small bands[/b]

[b]The Montague Arms, New Cross - run by a collective - stage/PA/ bands[/b]

[b]Servant Jazz Quarters - Dalston - cosy basement venue often used by Club integral[/b]

[b]The Mopomoso club - free improv - two different venues[/b]

[b]Boat-Ting - a nice venue on a boat moored on the north bank. Monthly improv gigs[/b]
[/quote]

That's a great list 😊

I was gonna maybe suggest contacting steve lawson or something, it's the kind of thing he's been doing for years.