Why become a member? ×

Looking to buy new amp or get old ones seviced? Need some advice.

DiMarco

I love my old Trace Elliot SMX amps. Out of the three I own however only one is still without problems (well, the cooling fan is actually at max speed 24/7 nowadays so I expect it to start being a problem amp soon as well).
The ability to dial in some valve warmth makes the sound very sweet and buttery yet stays tight and punchy.

With these amps, I am mainly using a trace 2x15" cab with a hf unit and filter I built in there myself.
Lots of love for the tone I currently have. However, I am afraid I am kinda fed up with the problems that come with amps this old.

Well then. Any new amp I would want to have should be able to get this buttery sweetness into my tone.
Most of them however seem to only use any valves for getting overdrive. This I do not want. I get better overdrive from my Darkglass pedals anyway.

So far the only things I have seen that should be capable of warm, punchy tone are the Tecamp Bad Bull 900 and Mesa Bass Prodigy but the two of those both cost a LOT of money.

If I were to buy a new, modern amp. What would you have me check out? I'm thinking 400-800 watts of solid state poweramp or 200w valve.

Or should I just get my Trace RAH600SMX and AH400SMX serviced instead?

I'd say get the Trace units serviced.

You know and love the sound and I'm sure if you went for something else you'd miss them, I know I did. Whatever other amps I have tried have been nice for a change, but I still go back to the green stuff in the end!!