Why become a member? ×

Real Fender

Mcdrewson

Dudes. Apologies if you've already read this post in Introductions.

My name's Drew. Using US Fender Jazz through Ampeg SVT VR & 810AV. I've been recommended this forum by another member to see if anyone can help me out with a question about my Jazz.
I bought a US standard Jazz in '97 from Rushworths in Liverpool just as it was closing down. I've been gigging it for years and plays great and I have no problems with it. However it dawned on me the other day (11 years later) that I hadn't seen a serial number on it, neither on the backplate or headstock. Also, the colour doesn't appear on the Fender colour chart - it's a shade of pale yellow but more yellowish than Vintage White. On the back of the headstock is a small round sticker 'celebrating 50 years of Fender'. Came in a proper Fender case with all sealed accessories/manuals etc. Can anyone shed any light as to why it hasn't a visible serial number and if it's definitely a genuine Fender product. As I say, it plays fantastic and I would never have had any reason to doubt its authenticity until the serial number issue.
It's packed away in the van but will take some pics and post in day or two.

Drew

[quote name='Mcdrewson' post='253782' date='Aug 3 2008, 04:55 PM']Dudes. Apologies if you've already read this post in Introductions.

My name's Drew. Using US Fender Jazz through Ampeg SVT VR & 810AV. I've been recommended this forum by another member to see if anyone can help me out with a question about my Jazz.
I bought a US standard Jazz in '97 from Rushworths in Liverpool just as it was closing down. I've been gigging it for years and plays great and I have no problems with it. However it dawned on me the other day (11 years later) that I hadn't seen a serial number on it, neither on the backplate or headstock. Also, the colour doesn't appear on the Fender colour chart - it's a shade of pale yellow but more yellowish than Vintage White. On the back of the headstock is a small round sticker 'celebrating 50 years of Fender'. Came in a proper Fender case with all sealed accessories/manuals etc. Can anyone shed any light as to why it hasn't a visible serial number and if it's definitely a genuine Fender product. As I say, it plays fantastic and I would never have had any reason to doubt its authenticity until the serial number issue.
It's packed away in the van but will take some pics and post in day or two.

Drew[/quote]
Hi Drew

Is it this model?

[url="http://www.classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses/fender_jazz3.htm"]http://www.classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/bas...ender_jazz3.htm[/url]

[quote name='Mcdrewson' post='253802' date='Aug 3 2008, 05:17 PM']Yes - It is my bass. Thanks. Should it not have a serial nuber though?[/quote]

Probably, but I had a Strat around that time that didn't have a serial number either. I checked it out and apparently people who were importing them not through a proper distributor were removing serial number so they couldn't be traced back to the original supplier. It sounds feasible to me and I know it happens a lot with watches etc that are imported the same way.

[quote name='Mcdrewson' post='253809' date='Aug 3 2008, 05:31 PM']Cheers. That puts my mind at ease. It's been worrying me the past dew days and the rest of the band have been messing round telling everyone I've been ripped off and am actually playing an Encore with a Fender sticker![/quote]

Yeah, That's what it is ..
Give you a fiver for it?

:)

It's what's known as the Grey Market, and as Old Horse rightly points out, it happens a lot with high end watches like Omegas and Rolexes, (and probably many other goods as well). They're imported and the serial numbers removed, and sold, quite legally I believe, usually at a considerable saving on the manufacturer's RRP. Bad news is the original manufacturer doesn't authorise this, and will have nothing to do with them, at least I know that to be the case with Omega watches, so servicing and warranty work is a problem. Of course on a '97 bass that's not likely to be a worry. It's a genuine Fender, just sold without their approval outside Fender's dealer network, at least that's my understanding of it.

Yeah, should have explained some more of the story. Not sure if you're aware of Rushworths but leading up to their closure when they had about six guitars left in stock, I went in and was showing interest in a US P. When I passed it back the guy asked me what I was after. Long story short, came back the next day, they had this brand-new jazz and I gave them £400 in cash. Mmmm.

Ultimately, it pays to look at the whole picture;

You've purchased an instrument for what you felt was a reasonable price.
You find said instrument perfectly satisfactory (save for the serial # ambiguity)

If it plays well, sounds good and continues to do both, then it is a good 'un.
It's just a pity that we all get caught up in the brand paranoia thing.

FWIW, I own a 2004 MIA Jazz!

Welcome to the forum.
Stick around if you like it . It's a good place!

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='253791' date='Aug 3 2008, 05:05 PM']Hi Drew

Is it this model?

[url="http://www.classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses/fender_jazz3.htm"]http://www.classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/bas...ender_jazz3.htm[/url][/quote]

That site you pointed Drew to has some lovely looking Peavey T40's! Quite fancy one of those :)