Why become a member? ×

The old 'one bass must go' dilemma, please help...!

Chiliwailer

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1414887201' post='2594472']
Keep the white 64. Aside from the colour it`s probably of more use to you. Though saying that, can`t the sound of the 55 be tamed with eq? I have to do similar with my 78 as it is a very aggresive sound, but can dumb it down somewhat.
[/quote]

Good idea about eq, I tried it recently. It was close, but no cigar, the natural element that the 55 has was missing. Yeah, the 64 is of more use, that's certainly true.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1414890910' post='2594489']
Convert the lot into a Mike Lull P bass and some cash.
[/quote]

That is tempting.....

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1414908388' post='2594507']
If you're in no rush to decide, stick the 55 in it's case and put it under the bed for a few weeks to see how much you miss it. Then get it back out and do the same with the 64, whichever one you've missed the most stays!
[/quote]

Good idea, I'd have to be careful to not feel like a NBD when I get it back out though!

[quote name='antnee' timestamp='1414912543' post='2594515']

Keep them all and sell a kidney.
[/quote]

I like that, I could probably get a few other basses too if I get the right price.

Cheers fella's

Edited by Chiliwailer

If they were mine, the modulus would be out the door. But since that's not an option, I think the 55 is the one that needs to go, from what you've said.

Sorry to hear that one has to go though, hope you can avoid selling one.

EDIT Because I got confused. Haha.

Also, if you're considering the Mike Lull, make sure you play it first. Sounds obvious, but it's amazing how many don't!

Edited by Evil Undead

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1414917988' post='2594545']
If they were mine, the modulus would be out the door. But since that's not an option, I think the 55 is the one that needs to go, from what you've said.

Sorry to hear that one has to go though, hope you can avoid selling one.

EDIT Because I got confused. Haha.

Also, if you're considering the Mike Lull, make sure you play it first. Sounds obvious, but it's amazing how many don't!
[/quote]

Haha, I was more with you before you edited, when you said the 64 should go! I reckon that'll change daily though? This morning I was thinking 'sell the 64 and buy the Lull (if I like it) keep the 55' then I duley remembered that I need to be letting one go. Doh.

So no love for Modulus then? The boyhood Chili's fan wouldn't let me get away with that, I love using that bass when jamming to their records. A fender it must be....

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1414918530' post='2594552']

Haha, I was more with you before you edited, when you said the 64 should go! I reckon that'll change daily though? This morning I was thinking 'sell the 64 and buy the Lull (if I like it) keep the 55' then I duley remembered that I need to be letting one go. Doh.

So no love for Modulus then? The boyhood Chili's fan wouldn't let me get away with that, I love using that bass when jamming to their records. A fender it must be....
[/quote]

Ha! Yes, I'm easily confused. This is all my personal opinion but I love white basses and much prefer the tone and aesthetics of 60's P basses over the 50's ones.

It's not that I don't like modulus basses, they're great, but just not my cup of tea. I could do everything I needed to do on a nice fender jazz :)

Cheers everyone for their chipping in on this one, some of those comments really made me think. When both agreeing and disagreeing with your posts it made me realise what I need to do.

First things first, these are just bits of wood right? Seems silly to be getting so thoughtful, however we all know what it's like to find great basses...

I've decided not to go crazy and get the Lulll, but to keep the 55 and eventually sell the 64. The Lull can be a wishlist to save up for now. The 55 is just far too unique and would be an absolute headache to replace. The 64 is by far the nicest Precision I've had in my hands for a very long time, but a Lull or similar CS would do the trick for me. The identical 64 I just sold was just as good, they seem like the best CS series I've come across I'm a good while.

So it's last in first out, not sure when I'll sell it though, I have a few months at least before I'll need the cash. I'll either decide to get some mileage out of it until then or just let it go as that will be the inevitable anyway. One thing is for sure, it'll be coming to the For Sale section sometime soom.

Thanks again all.