Why become a member? ×

Wiring a Nordstrand 5.2 into a standard Musicman SR5

Shockwave

hey guys.

I am having problems installing a Nordstrand 5.2 pickup into an SR5. I want just standard SR 5 switching options.

The nordstrand pup has a black, red, Green and White wire. No Ground wire.

I have been trying to follow this diagram but with no success.

If i follow the diagram to the letter with the nordstrand then The neck position has a very quiet Dual coil with emphasis on the neck coil sound. The middle position is Single coil and very loud and trebley, and the bridge position has the same sound as the middle position. Not musicman like at all.

The nordstrand wires use a different colour key then standard wiring.

Any help?

Cheers.

Edited by Shockwave

The SR5 pre-amp really needs a Nordstrand 5.3 pick-up to work correctly. The pre-amp uses a form of balanced input in single coil and series mode. I've spent a lot of time playing around with various pre-amps and pick-ups in mine. There might be a way to do it but without actually having the 5.2 it is very difficult to explain. If you're anywhere near SW Surrey the I'd be happy to try and fathom it out.

[quote name='obbm' post='253427' date='Aug 2 2008, 06:08 PM']The SR5 pre-amp really needs a Nordstrand 5.3 pick-up to work correctly. The pre-amp uses a form of balanced input in single coil and series mode. I've spent a lot of time playing around with various pre-amps and pick-ups in mine. There might be a way to do it but without actually having the 5.2 it is very difficult to explain. If you're anywhere near SW Surrey the I'd be happy to try and fathom it out.[/quote]

Then why on earth does Nordstrand not show that fact on the website? All it says is its a direct replacement for a Musicman Stringray 5.

This kind of thing really annoys me.

Unfortunately i am nowhere near you!

[quote name='Shockwave' post='253430' date='Aug 2 2008, 06:11 PM']Then why on earth does Nordstrand not show that fact on the website? All it says is its a direct replacement for a Musicman Stringray 5.

This kind of thing really annoys me.

Unfortunately i am nowhere near you![/quote]

Technically they are correct. The original SR5 was introduced in 1988 and used a 2-coil pick-up with a modified SR4 pre-amp. It had coil switching of sorts but was very noisy in single coil mode and ttere were level differences when switching.

In 1992 they changed to the 3-coil pick-up and a totally different pre-amp which overcame these shorcomings by using a balanced input and had a switchable resistor chain to balance the gain when changing modes.

If you can take a picture of the underside of your 5.2 and send it to me I'll try and work something out, to give you parallel and serial however single coil will be very noisy. Alternatively send it back as unfit for purpose and get a 5.3 which will just drop in. I've got a 5.3 in mine now and it is very worthwhile mod.

[quote name='obbm' post='253433' date='Aug 2 2008, 06:22 PM']Technically they are correct. The original SR5 was introduced in 1988 and used a 2-coil pick-up with a modified SR4 pre-amp. It had coil switching of sorts but was very noisy in single coil mode and ttere were level differences when switching.

In 1992 they changed to the 3-coil pick-up and a totally different pre-amp which overcame these shorcomings by using a balanced input and had a switchable resistor chain to balance the gain when changing modes.

If you can take a picture of the underside of your 5.2 and send it to me I'll try and work something out, to give you parallel and serial however single coil will be very noisy. Alternatively send it back as unfit for purpose and get a 5.3 which will just drop in. I've got a 5.3 in mine now and it is very worthwhile mod.[/quote]

Problem is my useless guitar tech decided to ground the pickup and managed to loop and solder wire around the underneath of each pole peice. What an idiot. So i probably cant return it.

Edited by Shockwave

[quote name='Shockwave' post='253440' date='Aug 2 2008, 06:34 PM']heres a pic.

I can probably solder the wire off but it probably wont look the same again.[/quote]

I need to know:

Which colours are connected to each coil

Which colours are at the end with the single fixing screw.

[quote name='obbm' post='253459' date='Aug 2 2008, 07:15 PM']I need to know:

Which colours are connected to each coil

Which colours are at the end with the single fixing screw.[/quote]

Its white and black on the S side. and Red and Green on the N side.

I am not able to open it up to find what is at the far end at this moment in time.

Rob.

[quote name='Shockwave' post='253464' date='Aug 2 2008, 07:30 PM']Its white and black on the S side. and Red and Green on the N side.

I am not able to open it up to find what is at the far end at this moment in time.

Rob.[/quote]

OK Rob try this

NS Red to pre-amp Red

NS Green to pre-amp Green

NS White to pre-amp White

NS Black to pre-amp Shield

If it doesn't sound right then swap over the white and black and see if its better that way.

[quote name='obbm' post='253595' date='Aug 3 2008, 07:58 AM']OK Rob try this

NS Red to pre-amp Red

NS Green to pre-amp Green

NS White to pre-amp White

NS Black to pre-amp Shield

If it doesn't sound right then swap over the white and black and see if its better that way.[/quote]

Ok will do!

Will be trying this tommorow.

Cheers. Rob.

[quote name='Shockwave' post='254556' date='Aug 4 2008, 03:55 PM']Ok well i wired it up one way. The Bridge sound is perfect MM humbucking parrelel sound, The middle position sound is quiet and dark single coil sound. The Neck position is very bright and loud humbucking sound. Is this right?.
Cheers.[/quote]

Excuse the pun but it sounds like you've cracked it. The bridge (parallel) setting is always slightly quieter and deeper than the series (neck). Single coil should sound a bit like a jazz bridge pick-up soloed. Because you have half the number of coils it will be quieter.

[quote name='obbm' post='254591' date='Aug 4 2008, 04:07 PM']Excuse the pun but it sounds like you've cracked it. The bridge (parallel) setting is always slightly quieter and deeper than the series (neck). Single coil should sound a bit like a jazz bridge pick-up soloed. Because you have half the number of coils it will be quieter.[/quote]

Ok thanks very much!

I will have to order a 5.3 when i have the money, At least i can gig with it on Wednesday!

Cheers! Rob.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='254686' date='Aug 4 2008, 05:18 PM']tis weird, my single coil setting is really quite bright, brighter than the other two for me, but i never use it, im mainly a parallel man :)[/quote]

What pick-up are you using?

[quote name='BassManKev' post='254725' date='Aug 4 2008, 05:50 PM']certainly doesnt sound like a jazz[/quote]

That depends on your hearing. :) anyway in this case you are not comparing similar pick-ups so there will be a difference.