Why become a member? ×

Shoreline Gold Jazz

Rumple

I bailed out on bidding on this eventually as I only wanted the body, I got bit carried away though as I love the colour, afterwards I got to thinking maybe I was bidding against a fellow BC'er? it would be nice to think someone on here has nabbed it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111485796032

Out of curiosity does anyone know what make it is? I've owned Tokai's before and I don't think it's one of them.

Gawd - this again. The parts of the description relating to it being an "Ibanez" are a load of rubbish:

[quote]...an Ibanez due to the shape of the headstock. If you compare it to other Ibanez basses of the era (circa 1980) it is indeed identical.[/quote]

It's therefore "identical" to instruments that do not exist. Ibanez ceased to retail any copies around 1978, and none of their subsequent original designs had Fender-esque headstock shapes. I'm not an expert on Tokai, but there appears to be nothing whatsoever to suggest this has anything to do with them. Or any other Japanese manufacturer of the era.

It's a very pretty bass & looks to be well-constructed (nice to see a copy with maple neck that doesn't have a stuck-on board) but this is more likely to be Korean/Taiwanese/Chinese and less than 10 years old than it is to be 80s MIJ.

Sorry for going off on one, but I'm frustrated that sellers are still resorting to the "Rare! Lawsuit! Ibanez! MIJ! L@@@@@k!!!!!" nonsense to sell random unidentified instruments. And that punters still fall for it.

Jon.