Why become a member? ×

Vintage tubes

tayste_2000

I've got some various vintage tubes lying around if any one is interested I will have them tested and sent out.

I have some EL34's and some ECC83c's which are drop in replacements for 12ax7's

Prices will vary depending on what type they are but I haven't had chance to go through the lot and get find out the brands yet.

I'm fairly certain some of these are Mullards but like I say I've not gone through the preamp tubes yet.

Edited by tayste_2000

Hi. I need to source some replacement power and preamp tubes for my 1970's Vibrolux Reverb guitar amp. I don't know much about this but the schematic I have says there are 3 x 7025s, 2 x 12AT7s, 2 x 6L6GCs and 1x 12AX7. Will any of yours be suitable replacements for these?

Many thanks,

Martin

Well I've got some EHX 6l6's lying around that were taken out of my Mesa 400+ when a single tube blew which meant because it was a matched 12 set I had to replace the lot.

and I have a replacement for your 12AX7 so that wouldn't be a problem I'll look at getting them all checked later today or something.

The 6L6's if you want 2 which will be matched because the set of 12 was matched I'#ll do for a a few quid less than what they are new from the cheapest online dealer.

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='252689' date='Aug 1 2008, 01:07 PM']Well I've got some EHX 6l6's lying around that were taken out of my Mesa 400+ when a single tube blew which meant because it was a matched 12 set I had to replace the lot.

and I have a replacement for your 12AX7 so that wouldn't be a problem I'll look at getting them all checked later today or something.

The 6L6's if you want 2 which will be matched because the set of 12 was matched I'#ll do for a a few quid less than what they are new from the cheapest online dealer.[/quote]

Thanks mate. As I say I don't know much about this - which ones of mine will your EHX 6l6s replace? And am I right in thinking that matching is only an issue with power tubes?

Cheers.

TBH something like that you want fully retubed and rebiased personally I pay people to do that as you can have upwards of 700volts sitting around in componants in it.

Replaceing preamp tubes isn't a problem but power ones is regarded as a major service (waits for a load of people to jump in and claim it's as easy as changing a light bulb)

Now if you buy all the tubes second hand and get some vintage ones for that tone and just get a professional to fit them then it can be quite cheap

So it's up to you.

Really this thread is for the preamps that should go to people with DHA type pedals and the power tubes I'm going to sell to guitarist with boutique single tube 15-30w amps.

Basically I don't want to sell anything that you end up killing yourself with. :)

What you will find is if you buy old power tubes is you probably won't need to bias it as they were made to much higher quality specs back in the day but these EHX ones that you could use are newer say 2-5 years old (Not used for the past 2-3 years)

Are you sure your current tubes need replacing?

Well, the short answer is no, I'm not sure. They are over 30 years old (never been replaced as far as I know). An experienced tech had a look last year and recommended changing the preamp ones as they had gone 'microphonic'. At the time he thought the power ones were ok. The amp has started making a grunting noise when warming up, and being generally unreliable lately (losing volume, cutting out). My plan was to buy some tubes (whatever I need) and get this guy to do the work. I might take it back to him for some advice before I do anything.

Cheers.

Well the preamp tubes you can just throw in there so if I've got what you need then you can do that.

It just need a bias tweak but I personally just revalve and service the whole thing but on a whole modern tubes sound quite different to the old ones.

But you are probably best calling your tech.

When I get in I'll list brand, model and price of each tube and you can decide what you want if any.

Cheers

Right I have the tubes here my tech tested them and said they all work fine

they are

Brimar (Made in England) ECC83's I have 4 of them and I'll take £8 each shipped allthese tubes are used not NOS but still plenty of life in them

the power tubes again working fine but used are

2 x Mullard EL34's (Made in Great Britain) I will presume here a matched pair I'll sell them £35 quid for the pair or £20 separately
2 x unmarked EL34's again I presume a matched pair but they are old - £20 for the pair

I can attempt to take pictures but it is a glass blub so you know.

Cheers

Edit for price drop

Edited by tayste_2000